Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Help removing tranny & t-case

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by cochino12, Dec 20, 2004.

1. cochino12

cochino12 1/2 ton status

I have no idea wtf I am doing, can anyone help walk me through this? it's a th350 and I think a 205 in a 77 sub. thanks

2. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

its not that bad...

There are a few ways you can do it.--I use a floor jack with an adapter that goes in place of the "saddle" that converts it to a tranny jack--a plate welded to a peice of pipe is pretty much the same thing,the "adapter I have has an adustable plate so you can angle it by turning a knob,but its not a must have..
    I usually pull the transfer case first,then the tranny--you can pull both while they are bolted together by bolting the crossmember to the jack's adapter plate,and removing the bellhousing ,torque converter,and crossmember bolts(and any bolts or rods that bolt to the side of the T-case),driveshafts,cooler lines,shift linkage,modulator hose,detent cables,and pull it back a few inches and let it down--but its awkward,especially if its an iron t-case like a NP205 or 203...its a lttle more work to take the case out first,but its a lot easier to deal with the case only especially if your doing it alone--be sure to chain the case to the jack--they love to roll off and crush your skull or other vital organs as soon as the splines on the tranny tailshaft disengage--take the bolts out holding the case to the tranny,and any other brackets and shift rods,and it will come out fairly easy--then you can remove the bolts holding the transfer case adapter to the crossmember,and jack up the tranny and remove the crossmember,bellhousing bolts,and torque converter bolts(you must take the plastic or metal pan off to get to them)and the detent cable,cooler lines and shift linkage,modulator vacuum hose(it its a th350or400)and its ready to come out--getting the tranny and transfer case to come out from under the truck on the jack is the hardest part for me--jack it up high enough to clear,the jack wont reach the tranny--and you need two jacks to raise the truck to get them out from under it--one for the tranny and another to jack up the truck to extract the other one from under it!-if you have a lift kit and big tires,this might not be a problem-two people wouldnt be a bad idea--even if one is only watching--and can run for help if anything goes wrong....:crazy: