Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

HELP!!! Replacing 4.56's in rearend, how much $$ for labor? where?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Troopie's Tonka, Sep 5, 2003.

1. Troopie's Tonka

Troopie's Tonka 1/2 ton status

HELP!!! Replacing 4.56\'s in rearend, how much $$ for labor? where?

Well, thanks to MTPockets I have some 4.56 gears on their way to my door so I can finally fix my rear end!!! Woohoo! (Well, I'm still in Iraq, but I'll be coming home in 2 weeks so I'll get it fixed then).
    Here's my problem. Where do I take it and how much will it cost to have my broken, toothless, poor old gears pulled out and have the new ones put in? I live in Aiken, SC (close to Augusta, GA) and there is only 1 4X4 shop in Augusta that I know of (Sandy's 4X4). Well, the problem is that he is known to take advantage of one's ignorance and lack of knowledge and overcharge them. When I went to him when I first got my truck, I asked about getting 4.10's. He was going to charge me $1,000 per axle. He said he had to do this and that and this and that. Well, I think he was bs-ing me. How much should I expect to pay? Anyone know a better place in the Augusta/Aiken area? Is there anything extra that will be involved than just pulling out the locker, pulling out the old gears, putting in the new ones (R&P) and putting the lockers back in? What kind of BS may this guy try to feed me, since I am not very experienced in this sort of thing? Me doing the work myself is out of the question. I have read/heard that you have to do everything perfect, torque this, and torque that, etc. etc. etc. Well, I just don't know how to do that. Can someone, anyone please offer advice on where, how much, what kind of BS to sift through etc. Thanks a lot. With your help, I will be out on the trails and in the mud....once again....trying to be a little nicer on the skinny pedal and not breaking stuff again.
    Thanks
    Sam /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

2. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Re: HELP!!! Replacing 4.56\'s in rearend, how much $$ for labor? where?

Rent a trailer and take your truck to your local 4 wheel parts wholesalers store if you have one anywhere nearby. They do that sorta thing all the time and cheap!

3. SCJimmy

SCJimmy 1/2 ton status

Might want to contact Clemson 4x4, Ironman 4x4, and Foothills 4x4 for comparible prices. I know they are in the upstate, but If the price is right, you could always drop the axle, and haul it to 'em. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Welcome almost back, BTW /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

I think there is a few 4x4 places in Columbia too, but that's not my neck 'o the woods anymore.

Byron

4. 87BrnRsd

87BrnRsd 1/2 ton status

I called a local 4wd store here in North Carolina, and the owner quoted me $700 per axle for parts and labor. This is just to give you a price idea, but this guy is also known for being a little high on prices too. Hope that helps.
    -Harrison

5. Troopie's Tonka

Thanks guys. I'll check into those places when I get back home. It would definately be worth the ride if it saves me some decent money. I will just take the axle off and throw it in the back of my other truck and drop it off. Hopefully I can find someone to do if for me.

6. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

a small shop near me rebuilt my D60 (new gears, detroit, various seals/bearings etc) for about $400 including labor and the small parts (i brought the detroit+gears). I brought it to the guy removed from my truck, dunno if that made much of a difference or not.

j

7. Troopie's Tonka

Ok, I emailed Clemson 4X4 and asked how much he would charge. He replied and asked what brand the gears are and will I need an install kit. The guy I bought the gears from said shims and sleeves are included. So, are those the "install kit"? Or do I need an install kit?
    And also, I've heard and read that you are not supposed to re-use axle u-bolts because they stretch? or something? Well, when I take my axle off to take it in to the shop, am I going to have to spend another 40 bucks or so to get new U-bolts? or can I safely use the same ones I have? Thanks

8. jekbrown

depends... how old are the ubolts?

j

9. Troopie's Tonka

not old. I put them on when I swapped axles. Probably October. But I only drove the truck for 2.5 months before I broke it new years. been sittin ever since

10. jekbrown

reuse them. if a 2.5 month old low-miles u-bolt is "bad", we're prolly all screwed.

j

11. Troopie's Tonka

Ok, I got an email back from Clemson 4X4. He told me $300 for the labor. That is me taking the axle off of the tonka and taking it to his shop. Is that decent? Thanks

12. Troopie's Tonka

Woohoo!!! Clemson 4x4 is out. Amazingly, I called Sandy's 4x4 and asked what he would charge for laber, $250. I expected a lot worse, I guess that is why I was afraid to call him in the first place. Well, that is 50 bucks cheaper than Clemson, and a whole lot cheaper than I thought I would be paying. So, I'm going to take my axle up to sandy's and have him do the work. Thanks for you help guys, and now I will stop cluttering the forum with this. Can't wait to get back hom (11 days!!!!!!), take my axle to get fixed, put it back in my truck and get back on the road. Woohoo, I am so excited, I can't wait!!!!!!!!!!!!!!