Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Help replacing high-low beam switch in column.

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Derf00, May 6, 2003.

1. Derf00

Derf00 1/2 ton status

Need a little info on replacing the high-low beam selector switch in my steering column. I looked at a replacement switch at a parts store and it looks like it controls everything, turn signals, etc.

Any suggestions or good advice?

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Are you sure its the switch, and not just that it needs to be adjusted?

The high/low switch is actually bolted to the column with the same screws that hold the ignition switch, which is why it looks to be one unit.

Never tried to replace one while it was still in the truck, but I'd imagine its kinda painful. Dropping the column loose from the dash may give a bit more play room.

First off I'd make sure it HAS failed, can you hear it "click" when you move the lever? If not, the switch MIGHT just need to be moved "closer" towards the driver. Probably can test that with a punch or something that will reach the plunger...just try depressing it that way and see if it works. Very simple device.

3. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

The switch isn't in the column, it's on the column. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif There's a steel rod that runs down from the lever to the actual switch. Look carefully along the column and you'll see the rod moving as you move the lever. Adjust or replace the swtich, as Dorian stated. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

Its the white lump in the top middle with the offset rod going into it.
    [​IMG]