Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Help Resurrect my 1970 K5

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by LVJimmy, Dec 21, 2005.

1. LVJimmy

LVJimmy 1/2 ton status

My truck has been sitting foe a long, long, long time and it is time to start working on it again. In the early 80’s I ran 33” BFG MT, 4” Rough Country lift (rear blocks), Dana 44 with posi, 12 bolt with posi, 3.73:1 gears, automatic and a 350 cid engine. The truck ran great but most people back then were running 40” tires with 6” body lifts and chrome drive shafts. I would prefer not to do any trimming but will if necessary. I never liked body lifts but my opinion can be swayed. The truck will be a daily driver. I have run a few competition mud bogs so apparently I enjoy mud, and 18,000 people cheering you on. I used/will use the truck for desert trails, although rocks are always a good possibility. Basically I want the truck to go wherever I want to go. I have already decided to make the switch to a Dana 60/14blt since I broke two axles in the 44 and a ring and pinion in the 12bolt (all within the first year). A locker is a must in the rear; the front is still undecided and most likely will go to 35” BFG MT.

My questions are:
    • Is a ram assist safe for the street, any drawbacks to using one?
    • How much lift do I need?
    • Are the ORD rear shackle flips as good as they seem? I would think clearance would be a problem.
    • What type of rear springs are recommended? What lift if any?
    • What type of front springs are recommend? What lift?
    • Do the ORD body-bushing squeak? Are there better bushings out there?
    • My Jimmy already has an extra plate welded to the frame at the steering box and it looks factory. Do I need to do anything else to brace the steering box?
    Any other recommendations, suggestions, helpful hints.

2. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

I run 35" SSRs, 3" body lift w/Energy Suspension bushings, 4" Rancho up front and 5.5" Superlift rear spring packs. D44 front & D60 rear.
    I did have to trim the front of the rear wheelwell & the rear of the front wheelwell. My tires even hit with 33s but I get perrty twisted up on trails.

I don't know about ram assits..don't have it
    I am at 7"-8" and still rub(or use to)
    I don't run a shkel flip but haven't heard bad things
    If you buy pre-made spring packs keep in mind they are built to Pick-up weight specs. That is why I have 4" front and 5.5" rear and I sit level (Blazers have a heavy butt)
    The body busings I have are made by Energy Suspension, they are the Black ones and re impregnated with polygraphite to fight 'poly squeek'. The key to poly body bushings is not to overtighten or squeeze them.
    My 72 has the factory inner plate also. I did replace the factory cross member for a piece of 2x2 quare tubing for added strength..duno if you have to but with a D60 front you may want to do something else?

Hope this helps
    Burt

3. vtblazer

vtblazer 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Six inch lift w/35's would be a minimum.
    A D-60 in the front w/35's will give issue though.
    I run 37's on mine and at times wish I had more clearance.

Can't see any reason for not running a 1" body lift either.
    That's the limit to what I'd run personlly

The ORD shackle flips are a good addition. (have 'em)

I just ordered a ram assist set up also, I've stalled out my stock set up to many times now.

If you want a good ride, go with some Alcan's or something similar.
    Instead of using thick 3/4 leaf packs they use thinner/multi leaf packs.
    They ride really well on surface streets and flex good to boot. (yep, running those too)

I've had good luck with poly mounts, I smeared anti-seize all over them during installation. Never a sound yet.

Don't forget about longer travel shocks as well, they'll help with twist.

A winch, beadlocks and some kind of onboard air are all thing's to seriously consider to.
    A high steer kit for the D-60 another good addition.

Have fun with the build and welcome to the board.

4. LVJimmy

LVJimmy 1/2 ton status

I thought 6" inches would be enough with 35" tires, I'm glad I asked. I know the energy suspension bushing used to squeak. I know the company claimed to have stopped the squeak but this is the first time that I have heard it first hand. I will order a set next week.
    Thanks

5. LVJimmy

LVJimmy 1/2 ton status

I thought the 60 might give me a clearance problem that's why I was going to 35" instead of the current 33". The truck will see too much high speed stuff to go to 37"tires.
    I think the high steer kit is a must, I had to bend mine back with a shoven more times then I would like to count.
    I would really be interested in hearing how the ram assist comes out. I'm wondering if it will slow the reation time down for street driving. IF it doesn't than I can go with a detroit locker in front.
    I'm not familier with Alcan, I have too to take a look at them.

I figured shocks would be the last thing on the truck to see what I actually need.

Thanks for the help hopefully will be posting an update on the truck by the end of January.
    Thanks
    I will be ordering the ORD 4"shackle flip before the end of the sale.