Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Help??Rocking back and forth?????

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by jmpd, Sep 1, 2000.

1. jmpd

jmpd 1/2 ton status

My 84 is rocking back and forth a lot morewhen i put it in park after new motor installed. I put it in park on an incline and it wants to roll forward about a half foot to a foot. It didn't do this before. It was nice and tight. I made sure the 700r4 torque convertor was still in place(completly seated) when i installed the new motor. Could it now be my back lash on my rearend?(something new to fix)
    The blazer just doesn't seem to safe on an incline. Tranny fluid is full and about 40k on new GM tranny, but I'm stumped

Thanks in advance.
    P.S Shawn great pic of remote solniod(sp). I'm going to do the same(and copy yours)

Michael

2. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

The Park function of the transmission is unrelated to your engine and is unrelated to almost all of the tranny internals. Fluid level has no effect (unless the whole pan is empty, maybe). I would suspect that the shift linkage has changed somehow and that you're not actually getting the transmission all the way into park.

Let me describe how the park function works:
    On the output shaft of the transmission there are big teeth, similar to a gear. Next to it is a short level, called the parking pawl, with one big tooth to engage inbetween the teeth on the output shaft. There is a spring that keeps the pawl away from the output shaft when it is not engaged. From the shift linkage mechanism, which is near the front of the tranny, there is a long rod that runs back to the parking pawl. At the end of it is a spring loaded mechanism in line with the rod with a tapered tip that engages the pawl. When the rod slides backwards as you shift the linkage to Park, this tapered tip acts as a ramp and pushes the parking pawl sideways so that it engages the output shaft. The spring loaded tip serves to allow the pawl to resist engaging if there is too much force on it. This is to prevent the wheels from locking up if you throw the tranny into Park while you are driving down the road. If you have ever done this, then you are familiar with the horrible ratcheting sound that it makes until the vehicle speed is low enough and then the wheels lock.

I would check out the shift linkage first and make sure that you are able to rotate it fully into it's stop in the transmission when you are shifting from the cab. It that is working allright, then the problem is inside the transmission, but it should be something that you can identify just by dropping the transmission pan. If you don't hear a ratcheting noise before the vehicle comes to a rest, it's possible that there are some teeth missing off the output shaft, which would be a very big repair job. If it comes to that and you have no other reason to take the transmission out, you should probably just make sure that your parking brake is in good working condition.

Hope that helps.

'85 JIMMY
    '90 paint/grill/trim 5"susp 33/12.5/16.5
    Fresh 350 B&M '87 TH700

3. jmpd

jmpd 1/2 ton status

Blue85
    Thanks for the info, will check out all linkage today and see what I find.

Michael