Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

help! rust!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by gotmilkgotlift, Feb 11, 2002.

1. gotmilkgotlift

gotmilkgotlift Registered Member

Jan 5, 2002
    my 85 k5 is running away with rust, ivew never done bodywork before, but can probably tack patch panels on but body mounts and back tailgate in bad shape,i saw pictures on how to fix a floor,does anybody have pictures on how to fix tailgates and where to buy the piece to weld in?
  2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Jul 23, 2000
    Anything that's badly rusted and bolts on is meant to be replaced if possible. LMC, GM and a few others sell complete 'new' tailgates. If you have serious rust and probably cracking of the tailgate I'd replace rather than attempt to patch it up. The other option is keeping your eyes open for a good used tailgate. These can be had for much less than a new replacement obviously. The hard part is the tailpan and floor...not a job for the faint of heart. You'll need a good place to do it as well.

<font color=green>Dyslexics of the world...UNTIE!</font color=green>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/project_T2> tRusty pics...</a>