Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

help! rust!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by gotmilkgotlift, Feb 28, 2002.

1. gotmilkgotlift

gotmilkgotlift Registered Member

2. Speed8379

Speed8379 Registered Member

I have replace the back or hte front floor after noticing that i had basket ball size holes on both sides. I replaced it with 1/8" stainless steel and it took about a day to weld it all in. the front of hte floor only had a couple of quarter size hole around where the seats are golted down and i fixed that with some metal from my old front bumper. one thing to look at is the cab supports under the floor you might have to repair parts of that also.

3. CooknwithGas

CooknwithGas 1/2 ton status

I'm doing that right now. It's a real pain because there are other structural members under the floor that are also rotted. I even had to replace the cab support that rests on the frame. I bought an aftermarket floor replacement piece and it didnt't fit very well, so I have had to cut it all up anyway. On the passenger side I think I will get some heavey sheet metal and replace as needed. Mine was so rusted two of the seat hold down bolts broke while removing the seat. I drilled them out and the threads look like they were saved.

Mine is a 1975, and a full convertible so the cab is reinforced under the seats with a steel box that was also rotted. I removed it and welded some structural iron and I hope it is strong enough.

To answer your question, it is a big job, but you can do it. I assume you have a mig welder. I'll send some pictures of the "bodgery" I have done when I finish.

Good luck!

"It's better than a sharp stick in the eye."