Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Help SB 400??

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Donovan, Sep 30, 2001.

1. Donovan

Donovan 1/2 ton status

I am thinking about getting a 1977 blazer. It has a camper special emblem on the back if that means anything. My question is can you tell the difference between a 400 and a 350. I know that the 1970 400 have 3 freeze out plugs in the side of the block but I don't know if that holds true for all of the 400 engines. Also I know the balancers are different than a standard one but what is it that I need to look for. I am going to look at it tomorrow any hope would be great. Thanks

Donovan
    Nitro Fumes makes me Horrrrny

2. chevrules

chevrules 1/2 ton status

The balancer has a cut out in the casting on the 400.The 350 is smooth all the way around.

chevrules...always has and always will

3. Donovan

Donovan 1/2 ton status

Great thanks.

Donovan

4. EDdaTREE

EDdaTREE 1/2 ton status

If it has a camper special emblem, maybe it was an old Chalet model that came with the big camper at one time. Seems like those models had the 400 motors, usually. AZBLAZER might provide you with some clues to spot this.

9/11/01..Never forget...Never forgive

5. mudddog91

mudddog91 1/2 ton status

This doesnt apply to a 400 sb but was just wondering if anybody knew exactly what the camper special was?My 3/4 ton truck had these emblems on it.

6. i think with the sb 400 you will also get a 4 core radiator. my 78 came stock with both. i also had 3.42s in the axles too, so check that out if you can. maybe the camper special will get you 3.73s at least. good luck!

<font color=blue>"What does mine say?"
    "SWEET! What does mine say?"
    "DUDE!" </font color=blue>

7. chevrules

chevrules 1/2 ton status

usually the camper special was just some extra springs in the rear...and maybe a rear sway bar

chevrules...always has and always will

8. mike reeh

mike reeh 1/2 ton status

I have a 77 camper special K25 pickup... its 8400 gvw which basically translates to heavy duty springs, and other stuff that you'd need like dual tanks (on a truck) bigger motor, heavy duty cooling, etc..

as for spotting a 400 small block, start it up and crawl underneath the front bumper and look up at the back (engine side) of the balancer.. if there is a huge cut-out in it for counterweight, then its a 400.. thats probably the most fool proof way.. if its smooth as the balancer spins, its something else..

mike

9. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

And most 400SB's have a casting number in the block, looking up from under the truck...........of 509. Large numbers about an inch or an inch and a half high.

<font color=blue>'79 ONE TON TPI K5 - See it at---&gt;<a target="_blank" href=http://www.blazzinor.rockcrawler.com>www.blazzinor.rockcrawler.com</a>

10. K5DRAGER

K5DRAGER 1/2 ton status

If I remember right the 3 freeze plugs in a 400 meens that its a four bolt and 2 freeze plugs meens it's a 2 bolt . So as far as using this as an identifier don't, cause this could be misleeding .It could still be a sb 400. Easiest way is check the balancer.

11. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Does it slam you back in the seat on heavy acceleration? :)

Tim
    '84 Chevy K10, lifted, loud, fast, and 3/4 ton axles

12. POWERMAD

POWERMAD 1/2 ton status

Are you sure it says camper special and not trailering special?
    I have never seen a K5 with camper special badges on it.
    The Chalets ended in 76.
    My Burb has Trailering special badges on it and my pick up has the camper special badges.

<font color=green> Too bad ignorance isn't painful </font color=green>

13. Donovan

Donovan 1/2 ton status

I am pretty sure it said camper special. Buy the way I went to look at it last night and it was a 350. It looked like it was a 400 at one time but now it was a 350. The balancer was smooth all the way around and the casting on the side of the block was 010. I think I might still get it if he will come down.

Donovan