Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

HELP!!! Seat belts, J.C Whitney

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Grim-Reaper, Oct 7, 2000.

1. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Ok I remember seeing a post a while back about seat belts. Seem to remember somebody had ordered the J.C Whitney belts but I can't find the post. The passenger side belt in my wifes 79 screwed up last week and I need to resolve this pronto since she and my kids use that truck as main transport. The plunger broke off that lets the belt know the door is closed and they are not retracting correctly. I have lost faith in it functioning correctly should something happen and not allowing my kid in that seat till I can replace it. If anybody remembers this post please direct me to it. The search thing couldn't find it (or I didn'g do it right). I looked back a good bit but didn't see it. Or if somebody could fill me in on their experiance with them. My big concern is did they (the shoulder design) bolt in to the factory location? Any negative comments on them? Do they keep good tennsion and stay snug if the occupant leans foward then back, do they retract on ther own without having to give them a tug?
    I really want to stay with a factory style belt and LMC doesn't list any. Not even going to fool with any Junk yard belt I want NEW to ease my mind. Any other sources to find good quality stock style belts would be appreciated.
    Thanks in advanced

Diging it in the dirt with my K5's
    Grim-Reaper
    http://grimsk5s.coloradok5.com/

2. 6.2 man

6.2 man 1/2 ton status Premium Member

3. mudfanatic

mudfanatic 1/2 ton status

Contact Chevrolet,don't quote me on this but I think that there was a federal law that was enacted that all manufacturers must warranty seatbelts retroactive to any cars that came stock with them for the life of the car.
    Seems like I heard this a couple of years ago somewhere.
    Dan

<font color=red>get involved with land issues or lose the land</font color=red>

4. Derf00

Derf00 1/2 ton status

Dawson444 made a post about New Seatbelts and got numerous answers, CrusinK5 has the same problem you do. Make a search for "seat belts, or New Seat Belts."

5. dawson444

dawson444 1/2 ton status

Yup I got a pair of them sitting on my bed right now in the box, they are heading back to Whitney on Monday. They suck like most of JCW's stuff. This is my 2nd set, the first set they sent me was for vans. They went back. The 2nd set I don't know how to explain it but when they were just sitting there installed they wouldn't retract enough to keep the thing tight. There was a guy on here that ordered some from them and he said they installed fine in his, I am waiting on pics from him. I have the same problem, I would really like to get it resolved. Let me know what you figure out. Also I am really interested in that seat belt warranty thing for the life of the car. If anyone can find more info on that I would appreciate it. You could take the Whitney ones and bolt it to the floor with this bracket that comes with it but them you have holes in your side walls, and I don't know how well it would work, and I would be afraid it would come through the floor. From what I have heard the dealership can get them but they want like $180 for one. Hope this helps some. Keep us/me posted.

Dawson
    88 K5

6. sosamantx

sosamantx 1/2 ton status

7. sosamantx

sosamantx 1/2 ton status

<font color=blue>Sorry, but my 1st post got messed up, I have edited it correctly though. - Steve</font color=blue>

<font color=blue>Steve Sosa a.k.a. "sosaman"</font color=blue>
    http://sosaman.home.texas.net/carpics.html

8. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

Eric, I bought from http://www.salesco.com the front and rear belts and am very happy with them. They fit exactly in the same location, are slightly different in that the "plunger" is not necessary anymore. ONE THING - when you order the "female" receptacle you have to specify (very clearly) that you want the "plastic encased floor mount model". Took a couple of shipments to get it right, but probably cause I didn't "specify" exactly what I wanted. Got them and installed perfectly. No issues. Then ordered the rear ones to match the front (this all due to me changing the entire interior colors, carpets, seats from baby puke brown/tan to charcoal/black). They are NOT retractable like stock but are your basic lap belts that are fine for me and are nice belts. Very strong and safe in my opinion. Hope this helps ya........

<font color=black>'79 - 406 TPI -<font color=orange> K5#5 - <font color=blue>http:// www.blazzinor.coloradok5.com

9. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Re: Thanks for the Help!

Well I guess I'll see how salesco.com does. I don't want cheap for belts and it sounds like Dawson has had fits with Whitney.
    Thanks again!

Diging it in the dirt with my K5's
    Grim-Reaper
    http://grimsk5s.coloradok5.com/

10. CruisinK5

CruisinK5 1/2 ton status

Re: Thanks for the Help!

I am the one that was talking to Dawson about them. I ordered a set for my K5 and they installed without a hitch. So far I have not had a problem with them, only time will tell about that. The part number for the set I ordered was WELR-000-02 and the catalog item number was 88KX7122P. They mounted right in the factory holes without modification. I did take some pics of mine and will post them as soon as they are developed. I was actually surprised how well they work because I know some of Whitney's products are rather cheaply made.

"Have you driven over a ford lately?"