Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

HELP ! setting up a 10 bolt..backlash etc.

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Jonny-K5, Dec 27, 2003.

1. Jonny-K5

Jonny-K5 1/2 ton status

im taking my axles to the mechanic in an hour. need to know the backlash for a 10 bolt, and are there any other measurments or special info i should know. thanks

2. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

the mechanic should be able to look up the backlash for it, but if you set the backlash between 8 and 12 thousandths.. it will be good to go, i like a little tighter because it will loosen up 1 or 2 thousandths..

3. Jonny-K5

Jonny-K5 1/2 ton status

thanks, i couldnt find the numbers at first, found em later tho. it said between 5 and 8 thousandths.

4. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

and backlash depends on if is new or used gear set

5. chulisohombre

chulisohombre 1/2 ton status

if the mechanic who is doing your work has to ask you for the specs and doesnt know,i would not want him to work on my truck.that just doesnt sound good to me.just my opinion of course.i would want to find someone reputable that works on gears often and has the specs to do the axle in question,if you dont want to do the work yourself.to answer your question that you asked,the best place ive found for info on installs and the one i used myself is randys R&P

6. Jonny-K5

Jonny-K5 1/2 ton status

the mechanic didnt ask me for any specs, i was just trying to gather the info before i went over there. and he is helping me do the install on trade, im not dropping them off and paying for the work. he's accually a diesel mechanic, with only limited experience doing rear ends, thats why i wanted to bring as much info to the table as possible. his buddy that sets up gears for a living is coming over to make sure everything looks good before we button it all up. if i wanted to pay 700 bucks i would go to the local drivtrain shop. and your right, if they asked me for the measurments i would go elsewhere.

7. chulisohombre

chulisohombre 1/2 ton status

never mind the other stuff i said then.the place i went to was www.ringpinion.com .its randys ring and pinion website.they got a lot of good tech articles and also have a full detailed installation instructions that you can print out.good luck with the install. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gifit is definitely a learning experience.the hardest time i had was finding pinion depth and preload.the backlash on the ring gear was about 15 minutes.the pinion took me about 4 hours /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gifto get set.

8. Jonny-K5

Jonny-K5 1/2 ton status

thanks for the link /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif