Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Help! Severe water leak

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by df, Mar 28, 2004.

1. df

df Registered Member

I have big time water leak (when it rains) though the side air vents on both drivers and passenger sides. The vast majority of the body was replaced about 7 months ago. It leaked a little before that and after the work it leaks even more to the point where the carpet is saturated. I have seen the water drip from the vents but where does it originate from and how do i stop it? it is destroying the new carpet and the padding
    Thanks

2. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Is this on a non-A/C equipped truck? If so, I take it that you're talking about the fresh air vents in the kick panels. (Trucks with factory A/C don't have those air vents). There are drain holes inside the ducts that get clogged with leaves, mud, etc. over the years. You'll need to determine the best way to get inside of there and clean the junk out of the drain holes. It may be easiest to go in from inside the truck, after removing the air doors.

3. df

df Registered Member

I removed the vents from the kick panels and reached my fingers up through some sort of rubber sleeve that surrounds the arms which the hood is attached. It appears that the sleeves are worn and no longer close around the arms/ hinges of the hood therefore water runs down the inside and through the vents. Does anyone know what this rubber gasket surrounding the hood arms/hindges is called?
    THX

4. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

i would check with restoration parts catalogs like LMC Truck, Chevy Duty, GMC Paul in Indiana, etc.\

the water leaking in through there should be the water that runs down the windshield and into the cowl area in front of and under the w/s where the wiper arms linkages are, the water is supposed ot run to ends of the cowl area and run down in front of the door jambs at the back of fenders, but if leaves and junk are stuck and backpiled in the cowl area then bad things can happen when it rains and not just rust rotting problems,.

ill see if i can find the seal in question online anywhere

good luuck