Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

HELP SHACKLE PROBLEMS

Discussion in 'OffRoad Design' started by gassman, Jan 2, 2001.

1. gassman

gassman 1/2 ton status

Stephen, I need your help here. I have a 71 Blazer, I talked to Glen Hard at Big Dick Suspenion and he set me up with a suspenion Kit (4 Leafs around for my blazer) I purchased a 1" add-a-leaf for the back from you, also got your greasable bushing kit for all the bushing points. Talked to Brennan Hill at Hill4Wheeldrive and got their Extended Front Shackles with the 1/2 bolt holes for your bushing kit. OK now the problem, the front sits way higher than the back. Thought the 1" add-a-leaf kit from you would take care of the 1" Extendend Shackles from Hill. Do you think the shackles are the problem and would you sell me just the Heavy Duty Front Shackles that you sell as a kit with the bushing. I already have your greasable bushing kit. Please let me know what is wrong with this setup and what you can sell me to fix this problem. Thank's Rod Powell (GASSMAN)

2. CK5

CK5 In my underwear Administrator Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

When I put the Hill shackles on it raised the front about an 1-1/2", keep in mind also that most K5's sit lower in the back anyway, so that is most likely why it sits so high in the back, if you went with the ORD front shackles and the ORD add-a-leaf in the rear, I bet you would sit level.

Steve
    [​IMG]
    1990 K5 with stuff

3. gassman

gassman 1/2 ton status

Thank's Steve, hopefully ORD will sell just the shackles. With your setup you use the hill shackles don,t you. So you must have 5" leafs for the back right. On another note, what did the dana 60 set you back from boyces, I have one in the garage new without hubs that I got from Brians60s this last summer. Just waitting for spring to install.

4. CK5

CK5 In my underwear Administrator Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

I run the ORD 4" flip in the rear with ORD 1" add-a-leaf for a total of 5" of lift, because the Dana 60 spring perch's sit almost an 1" higher that the Dana 44, I will switch to ORD shackles to keep the same ride height. Boyce is giving me a little price break for a review but I think the total would be around 2900.-3000. with 4.88's, ARB, 1350 yoke, not bad if you consider it is shipped to you ready to install with the gears you want and ARB installed, even painted.

Steve
    [​IMG]
    1990 K5 with stuff

5. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

It just sounds like you were bit with the ride height bug to me. It's really hard to set these up perfect right off, especially an early K5 since the rear suspension is a little different than a later truck. Most early k5's take a spring 2" taller in the rear than the front to overcome the difference in the bracket mounting height on the frame.
    We can sell you just the front shackles, since you have the bushing kit, I'm not sure of price, but it'll be close to a kit minus what you've paid already.
    The D60 does add about an inch, so watch that, and before you buy hubs for it, consider the upgrade to 35 spline stubs. The hubs aren't that much more, and the stubs are about $90 each. You may not need them, but if you're buying the hubs anyway it might be worth a thought.
    Thanks

[​IMG]
    SW-ORD

6. gassman

gassman 1/2 ton status

Thank's for the infor. Looking forward to your review Steve. Stephen, I'll be calling ya today or tomorrow to order the shackles and to pick your brain a little more. Thank's again Gentleman. Rod Powell