Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Help... should i pull the heads?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by dirtwarrior17, Apr 30, 2005.

1. dirtwarrior17

dirtwarrior17 Banned

I found pieces of loctite in the #3 valves and can get to em with long q-tips but i want to be completly pausitive nothing is gonna get into the cylinders. Should i pull the heads or swab with q-tips? most of the cylinders have loctite in them after a closer look and that scares me and my new motor... not even been out of the driveway yet. Last time i use loctite on the manifold bolts.

How easy is it to hurt a motor?

should i swab until my arm is dead and start it up or pull the heads and open the can of worms?

will the loctite do any damage?

Seems like it would just get burnt up or spit out through the exhuast but i don't have a clue.

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :angry1: :angry1: :angry1: :1zhelp: :yikes: :eek: :(

2. coptezr

coptezr 1/2 ton status

just pull em gaskets are like 20-30 dollars better safe than sorry its not that hard.

3. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

if the valve is closed, spritz it with a blow gun.. should blow that sh*t right back in your face...

4. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

its probably not loctite, its probaby an assembly lube used to hold the valve keepers in place during assembly. dont worry about it.

5. dirtwarrior17

dirtwarrior17 Banned

better to worry about it now then when it starts up and scars the cylinders...what color would the grease be?

6. 89GMCSuburban

89GMCSuburban 1/2 ton status

Red, usually

7. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

or white, or brown, or green. i've even seen purple.

furthermore, why would there be loctite in the valves anyways? there's absolutely no reason for it to be anywhere on the heads, unless you have screw in studs.

8. Fierospeeder

Fierospeeder Banned

now when you put the head back on, make "pausitive" that nothing is in the cylinders. :D

9. dirtwarrior17

dirtwarrior17 Banned

well, beater might be right on this one... I need to do some more work with the q-tips and try to figure out what the hell it is but i know its white. It came off like a flake of white paint tho? :confused: didn't act like grease. maybe from heating up?

the loctite went on the manifold bolts because thats what the felpro gasket instructions suggest. the manifold was stuck on pretty good and when it popped off some crap went into the galley and ports.

Does blue OMC water proof loctite change colors when it drys?

My pops talked me out of pulling the heads because i don't want to even **** with adjusting the valves and timing when i put em back on.

Beater: I've pulled the manifold 3 times... 1st: put rtv around the ports and didn't change the gaskets(dad said it would be fine) 2nd put new intake gaskets and did it all right but didn't see the piece of plastic from the harness and sinched it between the block and manifold( it was dark) and 3rd: is what im doin right now... I know you think your the mack daddy and all this is easy sh$t but ALL this is my first time working on a motor period... i screwed up once when i sinched it down, I'll even admit it but i would have like to see you do THIS swap when you were 17 for the first time. I gaurentee you'd be having the same kind of problems.

10. RustBuket

RustBuket 1/2 ton status

Yeah I did the same thing, I rebuilt a motor when I was your age and I ended up stripping it down once but ended up just being valves being too tight!!! Don't worry about it, just do it right.

11. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

i built my first small block by myself at 12. so i seriously doubt that. we talked about this before.

12. dirtwarrior17

dirtwarrior17 Banned

with somebody over your shoulder?

13. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

no. started that when i was 9.

14. dirtwarrior17

dirtwarrior17 Banned

still working on a motor out of a rig and working on a motor in a rig are two different things.

15. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

agreed. mine was dropped in a 79 K5 with a 4" lift and 33s as a shortblock. put the heads and intake on in the truck

16. Fierospeeder

Fierospeeder Banned

True statement, he's from indiana. :D

17. 1977k5

1977k5 3/4 ton status Vendor

Run it, I highly doubt it will hurt anything.

18. dirtwarrior17

dirtwarrior17 Banned

Oh, i thought you meant BUILT your motor.... crank, pistons, rods, cam, oil pump, etc.

still thats alot to do at 12... i was learning how to mig weld, drill, and ad rivot at 12 at my dads shop on houseboat hulls...never got my hands on a motor until now.

I know we don't agree on much but anybody who has the balls and know how to tear into their **** i can respect.

19. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

i did. built the shortblock, and dropped it in the truck before we got the heads back from the machine shop.

i'll believe it when i see it. :rolleyes:

20. dirtwarrior17

dirtwarrior17 Banned

unless they don't respect me...... :D

its a lost cause now anyway... i could blow sunsine up your but all damn year and you would still think i don't respect you...