Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Help! Smoke Coming From Stering Column!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by dawson444, Apr 16, 2001.

1. dawson444

dawson444 1/2 ton status

I cranked up my rig today, and some smoke started coming out of the steering column. How do I get inside the column to see what happened? I also want to look for frayed wires for the cruise control. Turn signals and everything still work. Thanks!

Dawson
    Raleigh, NC

88 K5, 4" lift, 33" BFG muds

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Get a steering wheel puller, and BUY the lock plate compressor. About $10, cheap ones work fine. Nothing real complex about digging into it a bit past the turn signal switch...if you've got a loose tilt, frayed wires are a real possibility, and basically the only reason you should be seeing smoke! : ) Check out my page below, there is a write up on sloppy tilt fixing, that will get you a bit into the column.

Dorian
    My K5 and Chev/Olds tech/links page: <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html>http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html</A>

3. lowlevell

lowlevell 1/2 ton status

This problem is usually from oil burning off your engine and the smoke going up the column. This is mainly a Ford problem but happens to Gm's too. The smell of oil burning and wires burning are two distinct different smells. If you think it is wire burning you are going to have to do some digging around in your column and under your dash. I would "almost" put money down on it being from your engine compartment. Like i said before, this is very common.

One From None

4. dawson444

dawson444 1/2 ton status

I will pull it apart when I get it back from the tranny shop. I'm pretty sure it is wires. I didn't crank it up, I just turned it to listen to the radio. So I don't think it was from then engine.

Dawson
    Raleigh, NC

88 K5, 4" lift, 33" BFG muds

5. Gandolf

Gandolf 1/2 ton status

Look for the problem in the area of the turn signal arm multi-switch. My 280ZX got the column smoke problem once and the multi-switch is where it originated from. Good Luck.

'89 K5 Silverado..."You can’t have a real adventure, unless the outcome is truly uncertain".

6. jimmyjack

jimmyjack 1/2 ton status

Lowlwvel I have NEVER EVER EVER heard of that, but I certainly wouldn't discount it! My work Blazer had done that a few times. I told the mechanic about it every time and he'd just shrug his shoulders and walk away. Nothing ever changed and it never burned to the ground but I'd definately get it looked at

"My blazer may be slow, but it goes faster at higher speeds"

Jim

7. lowlevell

lowlevell 1/2 ton status

LOL , you have never been in a Ford truck that had bad rings and a leaky rear main in it? :) 80's Ford trucks put the cross over pipe for the y-pipe right under the rear main, so if you had a leaky rear main, you got to suck fumes. I remember sitting at stoplights with my head sticking out the window because smoke was pouring out of the column. The truck was only like this for a couple weeks untill i put my built 351 Windsor(sp?) in it. Man, the only thing that i can say i like about Fords is, they mount the starter selnoid on the fenderwell.

One From None

8. jimmyjack

jimmyjack 1/2 ton status

Well now that you put it THAT way. .........

"My blazer may be slow, but it goes faster at higher speeds"

Jim