Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Help!, something is wrong with m Front Axle.

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by **DONOTDELETE**, Nov 16, 2002.

here are the symptons
    -when turning in 4dx4, i hear a loud dang and clinking, sort of like a detroit locker disengaging, but maye a little rougher
    i have a auburn pro l/s up front
    hubs jerk violently when noise happens
    took apart hubbs and check splines in outers, and their fine.
    seems like its skipping
    whats wrong? did my diff break?
    there is nothing wrong when going straight on street, although on sand if im on the pedal it would do the same noise.

1. 87sm465np208

87sm465np208 1/2 ton status

sounds like somthin gave.... when my rear 10 bolt\ gov loc blew, that thing made a terrible noise, of corse it was the rear drive, yur talking about the front axle, of corse ive never heard of a auburn cracking or getting damaged. id pull the diff cover check out what is going on, it was painstakeingly obvious if somthing did break, my carrier had a big crack in it and the spyder teeth were chewed to the point there were no teeth in some spots, and there was a large amount of metal shaveings in the gear oil, good luck.

/forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

2. A&P

A&P Registered Member

Just curious, but did you check the U joints??? The exact thing happened to me and that was the fix. Mine was on the long shaft (Drivers Side), but could be on either for you. Hope this helps.
    -Ben

3. 87sm465np208

87sm465np208 1/2 ton status

yea, to tell you the truth, my front U-joints went real bad on my truck, when i put new ones in and took the old ones out there were no needle bearings in them, so i put greaseable ones in there, because i go in mud and water and drive it like hell alot, so i thought it would be better to be able to grease them up, rather then have them run out of grease and start distroying themselves again, so i just grease all my u-joints once in a while, next time i buy grease im gunna get the valvoline marine grease, and try that stuff out. anyway good luck, check the front axle from rotor to rotor, im sure yu'll find the problem. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif and then aleaveiate it.

/forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

4. K5DRAGER

K5DRAGER 1/2 ton status

It sounds like the auburn pro chattering, engaging and disengaging, or slipping, how ever you want to term it. It has to do this when your turning, since both the front tires are not turning the same speed. I have the auburn pro in the rear of my truck and it was doing the same thing. Sounded like it was chewing itself up. When I installed it I put in the fluid along with some Napa limited slip additive. But when I pulled the cover to check it and make sure it was fine a buddy of mine told me to use the GM additive. Everything checked out so I filled it and used the GM stuff and have not heard a noise out of it since.

5. landsmasher

landsmasher 1/2 ton status

Open up the diff and check the pinion. Bearing might have given out. This will really chew things up in there and if it did you might need a new ring and pinion and a new bearing set. Exact same symptoms as I had in my rear recently.

6. well, took it apart, the spider blew /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif, but good thing its stillon warrantee from the place that installed /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif, and this little problem is just what i needed as a incentive to go 1-ton /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

7. landsmasher

landsmasher 1/2 ton status

YEP! /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif