Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Help!!! Something went wrong installing my lift!!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by lehtola, Apr 9, 2001.

1. lehtola

lehtola 1/2 ton status

SHOCK STUD SHEARED OFF!!! O.K. I got my 4" lift on and my Big fat rubber doughnunts on...only a few minor problems. I broke about 1/4 of the shock stud off on the rear where the shock mounts to the frame. You know...the stud the shock mounts too...Anyway...where can I go to get a replacement or do I need to get a machine shop to do the work? I was actually able to mount the shock but don't have all the threads I'd like to have. I think also I'm gonna have to drop the xfer case...minor vibrational problem...not too bad. One more thing. Is your steering wheel suppose to be cocked after you put the lift on? I know the angle is different but now my 3 and 9 o'clock are in the 12 and 6 o'clock position. I still have to put on my new steering arm...all I had time for was the lift and that was long enough...the darn u bolts on the rear were a pain in the blankety blank. Any suggestions on the shock stud replacement part would be apprecitated...as well as the steering wheel issue.

1990 GMC Jimmy 350/TH700R4/NP241/10 bolts, 4" skyjacker lift, 35x12.50R15 BFG All Terrains on 15x10 AR Baja's, Flowmasters.

2. ftn96

ftn96 1/2 ton status

Im having problems visualizing what you are talking about as far as the shock stud and mount. But the steerinf wheel should straighten up when you put the new steering arm on. If not I dont see what difference it makes as long as your front end is lined up right.
    If remember right there are no studs actually welded to the frame, just mounts and the bolts came with the new shocks, right? I re-read the post and I think you are talking about the stud that bolts to the frame and then has a plane where the shock bushing slides on and then a washer and then the retaining nut. If you got the Skyjacker Hydro shocks, I think it comes with a new stub or bolt. But I ended up using the old ones.
    But I may be wasting time here. I haven't had any coffee yet and am having problems seeing this. Hell I cant read I need pictures. Always had problems with that in school. LMAO!!!!

Will work for beer, parts and tools.
    90 Jimmy 350TBI-700R4-241-33" BFGs-10 bolts w/4.10's
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.nashvillek5.freeservers.com>http://www.nashvillek5.freeservers.com</A>

3. lehtola

lehtola 1/2 ton status

Yes yes...it is the stud that bolts to the frame and then has a plane where the shock bushing slides on and then a washer and then the retaining nut. But I got the nitro shocks and no new stub or bolt so I had to use the existing ones. That's how I ended up shearing it. A little too much torque.

1990 GMC Jimmy 350/TH700R4/NP241/10 bolts, 4" skyjacker lift, 35x12.50R15 BFG All Terrains on 15x10 AR Baja's, Flowmasters.

4. JoeAngelicchio

JoeAngelicchio 1/2 ton status

You can get the stud at an autoparts store. It comes with a huge nut and washer for the back to attach to the bracket.

<font color=green>Joe Angelicchio
    86 Jimmy 4+3, 35-&gt;39.5 tires,4spd
    </font color=green>
    [​IMG][​IMG]

5. flcpl4fn

flcpl4fn 1/2 ton status

I went out and looked at mine,and it looks like all you have to do is knock the old one out. And you should be able to get one from any parts store, or at least from the GM dealer.

'85 Jimmy in Jax, Fl

6. ftn96

ftn96 1/2 ton status

If you have problems finding a new one, let me know I will go look through my spare parts bin adn see if I have the ones that came with mine. I'll givem too ya.

Will work for beer, parts and tools.
    90 Jimmy 350TBI-700R4-241-33" BFGs-10 bolts w/4.10's
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.nashvillek5.freeservers.com>http://www.nashvillek5.freeservers.com</A>

7. Esteban86K5

Esteban86K5 1/2 ton status

When you get a new steering arm it should straighten your steering wheel out. If it doesn't all you have to do is adjust your drag-link. Loosen the sleeve bolts and turn it a little untill your steering wheel is straight again. you might have to do it a couple of times after you drive it. It's annoying to have the steering wheel wrong isn't it? It just doesn't FEEL right.

<font color=blue>Esteban</font color=blue>

<font color=red>SEMPER FI TO MY BLAZER

8. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

If you cant find any studs at the stores or dealer, let me know. I have some brand new ones leftover from new shock absorbers. I would be more than happy to send you some.