Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

HELP Somethings binding

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by jaredmajor, Jun 2, 2006.

1. jaredmajor

jaredmajor Registered Member

Ok this will be long so you guys can see what i did wrong. I swapped in my sm465/205 and had a new drive shaft with 1350 ujoints. well i didn't get yokes so i couldn't use it and i really need my truck to get me from work to home, so i drove it in 4hi running off of just the front drive shaft. Well the ujoints in the front shaft were shot and i broke the shaft. So i got a new yoke for the 205 and was going to get one for my 12 bolt. The shop told me i had to bring in my old one to match it up, so i took it off and they said they would have to order a special one so i just asked for the conversion ujoint for it and used the old yoke. I got it all together today and went to drive it, but i have some kind of binding in the rear end. I have only driven it a coulple hundred feet and i get a good binding in foward motion, none in reverse. It's some what brief then unbinds then i can move another 10 feet or so then it binds again. I only went as fast as 5 miles an hour to not break anything, but the binding will stop me right away. Could it have been that i didn't put the yoke back on the 12 bolt right? Or is my driveshaft binding? when i put the conversion ujoint in could i have made it to tight? Thanks for the help in advance.

2. misterfnygy

misterfnygy 1/2 ton status

Oops

Sounds like you may have let the pinion fall into the diff. I would remove the diff cover and check the gears to make sure that they are ok. After that, I would say that the u-joint has issues. Good luck

3. jaredmajor

i put the one conversion ujoint in. When i put in in the driveshaft if i hammered the caps on to tight could that be it?

4. misterfnygy

misterfnygy 1/2 ton status

not unless you really pounded them in there- enough to mangle the hardened steel trunion

5. 70jimmy

70jimmy 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Released from Pueblo, told I belong in Southpark
    put it on jackstands and put the t case in neutral, block the front wheels and then crawl under and you can spin the rear wheels with feet while you watch the u joints and maybe see the problem.

6. jaredmajor

Okay, lets just say i'm retarted. Last night i went and disconnected the driveshaft, i realized that it was the pinion. Well when i put the yoke back on i just buzzed it real fast with my impact, trying not to crush the crush sleeve. Well, i just didn't tighten it all the way. I tigtened the nut till it got tight and it works awesome now. I am surprised that this didn't happen before. It showed no signs of binding before, crazy. It works great now and i don't have any noises. i do need to check my gears now just to make shure i didn't bust a tooth. Thanks for the help guys.