Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Help spider gear stuck to axle?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by xtrmjoe, Nov 18, 2004.

1. xtrmjoe

xtrmjoe 1/2 ton status

Putting new gears and lockers in the rear axle and one of the spider gears is frozen to the axle shaft. Cant get the c-clip out. Have tried numerous BFH but have had no luck.
    Any ideas or suggestions greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

2. tarussell

tarussell 1/2 ton status

It is possible that the brake drum is not letting the axle move inward far enough . Try taking the drum off and see if the axle has more inward movement.
    HTH , Tom

3. xtrmjoe

xtrmjoe 1/2 ton status

Drum is off and I have smacked it good with a BFH. When I slide the axle in and out the spider gear just moves with it. And there is not enough clearence now for me to get the clip out.

4. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Are you putting in a cheap locker and reusing the carier , or a real full case locker ? If the latter , I have an idea .

Stuff a short piece of tubing , a socket , or anything in there to stop the spider and still allow the axle and c-clip to come out . Hey how about putting the small gears back in to hold the side gears . Then hammer , press , drive into , whatever works , the axle to get c-clip . After you have the clip out , pull , tow rope , whatever works , and get that axle out , just be safe and slow /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

5. xtrmjoe

xtrmjoe 1/2 ton status

I am replacing an auburn limited slip with the suburn ECTED a full case electronic locker. I will try that soon thanks.

6. xtrmjoe

xtrmjoe 1/2 ton status

Re: Help spider gear stuck to axle shaft?

tried heat and still no go. Mabye the splines are slightly bent as well as tehe spider gear. What the f#@%k to do now.

7. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Re: Help spider gear stuck to axle shaft?

Can you get the torch in close enough to cut the axle clip off??.If you can,the circlip thing will cut fast,and you can dig the peices out with a pick--then you can beat the axle out.One truck I did I had to remove the other axle and use a long peice of pipe and a BFH to get the other axle out--same deal,the side gear wouldnt slide on the splines and allow the c-clip to come out.It took a lot af hammering,but the C-clip finally broke and it came apart fairly easy after that... /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif