Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Help!! starter wiring 73 with a 87-95

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 2High4U, Nov 12, 2005.

1. 2High4U

2High4U 1/2 ton status

i just swapped in an 87-95 350 in my 73 blazer it it only has two posts to hook up to the s and the power wires my old one has three posts any way i can use this newer starter cause the parts store closes soon.. the prob with my old one was that it wasnt reaching the teeth on the flex plate..

please help... could the flex plate im using be for a car and not work on a truck??

2. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Yes and no, the starter will work fine. The extra terminal you have goes directly to the coil so that while cranking you get full 12 volts to the coil then once the vehicle is started it reverts back to 9.6ish volts for a points distributor. If you have installed HEI distributor then the terminal you're missing isn't used anyways.

3. 2High4U

2High4U 1/2 ton status

i have four ring terminals 2 big ones i know where they go and two small ones i know where one of them goes... and the the one that goes to "r" on the starter you are saying i dont need to hook up or i need to hook that up?

where does it go on the "s" terminal where the other one is going? so i would connect the two small ones together?
    this is pissing me off i need to get it running by monday at 4am so i can get to work its my daily driver... the starter is the only thing holding me up on this

thanks for the quick reply

4. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

IIRC the R terminal (relay) is a purple wire. Since you no longer have an R terminal on the new starter you will not use that wire any longer. Make sure you tape it up and tuck it away somewhere. Whatever color the wire is is irrelevent but if you were to follow the wire it would go to the positive terminal on the coil.

5. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

73??

On a 73,the purple wire goes to the "S" terminal,the other "R" teminal was used to bypass the coil hot wire, which has a resistance built into it to protect the points..it is usually a yellow wire that went to the coil + terminal from the "R" terminal...thats the one you won't need anymore if you now have HEI..tape it over and forget it..

Don't use the original wire that powered the point style ignition coil to power the HEI...it needs a full 12V wire,a new 10 or 12 gauge one,that is hot only when the key is in the "on" and "start" positon!..poke around in the fuse box with a test lamp to determine which "tap" is right..there is usually a few spare lugs in the fusebox that are wired that way..make sure its not "hot" all the time,or when the key is in the "ACC" position... :crazy:

6. 2High4U

2High4U 1/2 ton status

thanks guys i appreciate the help so i can cut it and tuck it away and it will be ok the hei is all hooked up right it was on the older 350 that i had... when i got this motor 87-95 350 i knew there was some differences but i did not research it enough to know that the starter was different the one on my last motor wasnt meshing with the flexplate at all so i got a new one and will find out how that works tommorow its funny how things like this have a simple solution but cause the biggest problems thanks again!