Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

HELP!! Starting Probs!!!!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by stimpy, Sep 13, 2001.

1. stimpy

stimpy Registered Member

Hey All,

I've got a problem. I got in my '84 350 4x4 Blazer to goto work, and as I was driving to work my headlights started getting dim. So I turned around, and by the time I got home they were almost out(only about a half mile). Anyways I've replaced the altenator and bump started it and let it run for a while. Then it was still dead. I hooked up my wife's car to jump it and all the starter dose now is click, the battery gauge bottoms out. Other than that when it's hooked up to the jumper cables every thing else lights up and turns on.
    To finish this up, my question is can the starter cause this drain and make the system not charge, and the battery go dead.
    Any help would be great guys thanks.

Todd Miller

love my blazer, and 43 Dodge Carryall
    IF IT'S SNOWING AND IT'S DEEP. I'LL BE OUT IN IT!!!!!!

2. TorkDSR

TorkDSR 1/2 ton status

it sounds silly, but why couldn't it be the battery? if it can't hold the charge that the alternator is giving it then it's junk. A cell could be empty or a plate could be junk within the battery.

Tork DSR
    I just got a winch, it takes the fun out of things.

3. dragricinMT

dragricinMT 1/2 ton status

Put the battery on a charger. The alternator will not put a good charge in it by itself. Once the battery is fully charged have it tested. NAPA or any good parts store should be able to load test it.
    You completely drained your battery. If the load test causes it to fail buy a new one,this should solve your problem.

4. Pugsley

Pugsley 1/2 ton status

Your battery is kaput.

Special thanks to those lost from IAFF Locals 94 and 854 - You shall never be forgotten
    <a target="_blank" href=http://pugsley.alloffroad.com>pugsley.alloffroad.com</a>

5. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

Could it be something grounding that shouldn't be and causing this? I had something sort of the same and when I began to poke around my negative battery cable had a worn spot from rubbing and was causing the problem.....

9/11/01... "We will overcome"
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.chevycagal.homestead.com/steph.html>www.chevycagal.homestead.com/steph.html</a>

6. Pugsley

Pugsley 1/2 ton status

That would cause it to an extent, but for it not to even make an attempt at charging, it's gotta be the battery. My old 77 K5 was the leading destroyer of batteries in the western hemisphere for a long time, and it always had the exact same symptoms - The best cure for this is an XP31 battery, they have a much heavier plate structure than standard automotive grade, and are actually designed for high vibration off-road environments.

Special thanks to those lost from IAFF Locals 94 and 854 - You shall never be forgotten
    <a target="_blank" href=http://pugsley.alloffroad.com>pugsley.alloffroad.com</a>