Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Help! Steering Box Going, Need Recomendation for New One

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Bross82, Aug 9, 2002.

1. Bross82

Bross82 1/2 ton status

My steering box is pretty much almost done... I am on a pretty tight budget and I need my truck as a daily driver, so downtime must be as little as possible. So I dont think I'm gonna be able to send my steering box away to the west texas guy to have it rebuilt.

So, I was wondering which steering boxes are recommended in the $300-$400 (max) range..... and which, if any, already have hydraulic fittings so I can later hook up a complete hydraulic steering system.

Also, I noticed some have different ratio's.... which one would be ideal for light to medium trails, more rocks and stuff and a little mud, and I plan on later having 36''x14 tires...

thanks a lot,
    matt

I am trying to order today if possible, thanks again

2. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> AGR's boxes are under $400. If you don't mind a little twitchiness on the freeway I'd get the S series box. </font color>

3. Bross82

Bross82 1/2 ton status

how twitchy is it.... i dont do highway driving often... but i typically drive at about 40-50. just want to make sure this one isnt too sensitive for daily street driving, i saw the warning on the 4wheelparts site saying its not recommended for highway speeds.

thanks again,
    matt

4. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Are you certain its the box and not some other component or cracked frame? Just wanting to make sure you don't dump a ton of money (I know that boxes are pricey new) and then find out something else is bad like drag link or cracked frame, worn out pot/rag joints, etc.

5. four_by_ken

four_by_ken 1/2 ton status

You are sure it is the box right? Why not just replace it with a used one. I have one that I replaced with a 2wd for my cross over.

Ken H.

6. wrathORC

wrathORC 1/2 ton status

You can get one at an auto parts store for around $200. I've never seen anything wrong with the stock boxes. I'd go junkyard hunting first though.

7. mudddog91

mudddog91 1/2 ton status

Hey ive got one set up for hydro already that I cant use now......I went to a late model ifs to solid axle so I am using the box on it now.The box Ive got Is already setup for crossover and has the fittings on it for hydro setup.works great and I will sell for 100.00 plus shipping............Its still on the truck so if you want to feel it or see it let me know,also leak free...........Im in N.C. so let me know!!!!!

8. mudddog91

mudddog91 1/2 ton status

Hey you interested in the steering box or what?

9. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

If it's leaking then reseal it. Get the numbers off the side and take it to autozone. The seals are under $10 for both input and the two output seals. the output seals are real easy to replace...it's messy as hell but easy. Choppy steering is usualy not the box it usualy the pump and screwing up an not providing enough pressure.