Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Help !! Steering box I adjusted the screw.. now it's too tight..what next?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by rocko, Dec 6, 2002.

1. rocko

rocko 1/2 ton status

Help !! Steering box I adjusted the screw.. now it\'s too tight..what next?

I installed new tie rod ends on the Blazer, then it threw off the steering wheel.. well that's no big deal.. i can fix that.. <font color="black"> Here's what I did.. what do I do now? </font color>

I backed off the locking nut on the steering box.. I used a allen key to adjust the adjustment screw.. I made the steering way too tight. Feel's like I'm fighting the wheel and it's hard to get back to center.
    What's the correct way to adjust this nut.. Chilton's manual is very "vague"
    Which way to I turn the adjustment screw to loosen up the steering.. I don't want to burn up my steering box..

Thanks in advance..

2. Stoopalini

Stoopalini 1/2 ton status

Re: Help !! Steering box I adjusted the screw.. now it\'s too tight..what next?

The correct way to adjust that steering nut (the one witrh the nut and allen head in the middle) is to jack the truck up, disconnect the pitman arm, and use an in/lbs torque scale on the steering wheel itself.

The correct way to adjust the steering wheel center is to loosten the bolts that hold the center link in place and turn the center link with a pair of channel locks. The steering box allen bolt should not be used to adjust the steering wheel centering position. If it is, you'll have more steering throw one way than the other (in other words, you'll have a tighter turning radius right, and less on a left turn -- or visa-versa)

Thomas.

3. rocko

rocko 1/2 ton status

Thomas.. thanks..
    Do you recall which way to turn the allen key to loosen up the steering?

4. Stoopalini

Stoopalini 1/2 ton status

Turn the allen head counter-clockwise to loosten the steering up. Lemme know if you need some help, I get out around 5pm or so.

Thomas.

5. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

The way I do it is tighten the steering until it's frim like you said and then back to loosen it half a turn.
    It makes tight enough without binding

6. TheLakeRat

TheLakeRat 1/2 ton status

Rocko i gave you some directions on your other post
    hope it helps.

7. rocko

rocko 1/2 ton status

Thanks for all the suggestions..
    It's back to normal now.. I can finally drive it without fighting it. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif Thanks for the extra set of hands Russell.. aka txbluethunder.