Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

HELP!!! Steering correction for Body lift

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by trag, Nov 30, 2002.

1. trag

trag Registered Member

I just put a 2" body lift on a 89 blazer, and the instructions confused me about what to do to correct the steering. It said something about knocking pins out of the slip joint on the steering shaft, but I didn't see any pins. I can get it to bolt up after I put the lift on and everything seems to work fine, do I need to do anything else?

Thanks

Trey

2. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

No, you'll be fine, if you unbolted your steering column from the firewall and from underneath the dash before you lifted the body, then reattached after the lift was done, it will be ok.

3. sapper

sapper 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

just unbolt the rag joint and pull it out. once its out burn out the 2 nylon pins and put it back in. some things to think about is once its apart and long enough you have 2 options. 1 is to just leave it alone. this could be bad because if the 2 shafts seperate while twisted up your done. the second is to put a bolt in to keep it from seperating but this takes some consideration because if you bolt it and get into a accident the steering wheel will not colapse and your chest will have a hard day.

4. trag

trag Registered Member

Thanks for the help. I got it back in and it seems to working fine.

thanks