Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

help.. steering dampner

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 89GAK5, Oct 4, 2000.

1. 89GAK5

89GAK5 Registered Member

89gak5 back seeking no how again.my steering dampner is leaking oil.i bought a new one today afte work.it look like replacement was going to be a breeze.well one end came loose fine.the other:a real pain.is this end pressed on? on the new hardware it looks like the shaft is tapered going into the tie rod.i tried a hammer but not a budge.please shed a little light on this for me.a 500 watt halegon would be great. i need all the light i can get.any way greetings from middle georgia. thanks

RUGERS & K5 BOWTIES

2. KrebsATM02

KrebsATM02 1/2 ton status

yea it is tapered in there but i shouldn't be to bad to get out, spray some penetrating fluid on it and let it soak in. Then beat it, and if that doesn't work for some odd reason heat it up a little. Oh yea if you want you can take the castle nut of on the back turn the car on and just move the steering wheel back and forth and that may take it out too. - Doug

Doug Krebs

3. 89GAK5

89GAK5 Registered Member

thanks for the in-put.will try this tomorrow.

4. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

As far as the penetrating oil goes, PB Blaster works great, even better than Liquid Wrench and the stuff the military uses.

[​IMG] Semper Maintenance!