Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

HELP....? steering issues!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 88k5blaza, Oct 26, 2002.

1. 88k5blaza

88k5blaza Registered Member

/forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif I have an 88 k5 with power steering and the thing feels like the pitmon arm is loose so the wheels turn when they want to but i looked at it and its tight and my balljoints are new i checked my U bolts on the axle and theyre tight... I dont know whats goin on i just did tierods and got the frone end alligned by a local shop if anyone knows anything about this kinda thing please give me some help!! /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

2. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Check the frame around the steering box for cracks. That's a very common problem with these trucks and lets the steering box move around. There are weld-on frame repair kits available to fix the damage. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

3. wakedog

wakedog 1/2 ton status

Also check the steering arm studs. I have sheared 2 of them off on 2 separate occasions. If thats the case on your truck DO NOT drive it until you fix it. Very scary and dangerous to drive like that!!(ask me how i know)

4. 88k5blaza

88k5blaza Registered Member

what are the steering arm studs??? I worked all day today and nothing that i could se so i flushed the system and found a lot of junk that came out of the pump and i think that might have fixed it but i havent road tested it but im interested to see what thoes studs are!!
    /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif