Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

HELP... Steering

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by blazindorito, Mar 13, 2006.

1. blazindorito

blazindorito 1/2 ton status

I change the gear box on my 83 k5 blazer.I switched it because I bought one that was already drilled and tapped. When I installed it nothing connected back up to it. The yoke and steering shaft dont fit because the shaft that connects to the yoke and steering shaft is thicker than the original one I had. I know I can replace the shaft w. the one I have from the OG box but would like to keep the thicker one because I have crossover steering w. a 6"lift and 37" tires. So therefore I assume a thixker shaft is better than the thin one I had previously. What can I do to make this work? What do I need to change? Let me know and thanks. HEre are some pitures.

steering.jpg

steering2.JPG

2. blazindorito

3. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

Go to the junkyard and get a Double Ujoint shaft from a 86-91 XJ. It will bolt right up:D

Ira

4. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

You better take a look at the hoes connections on the steering box, 83 uses the O-ring lines and the larger input shaft tells me it is an early box which should use flare fitting lines. If by chance the box fittings are the same (which i doubt) the larger input shaft is an easy fix, go to the junk yard and grab the rag joint piece that fits the larger shaft and then bolt your existing shaft to it. Also, is the box the same as yours IE: 2WD or 4WD, crossover steering requires a 2WD box.

5. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

what is OG ?

if you arent using a factory/stock box then its hard to say really

and i cant see the pics because theyre on CK5 and im not regged yet, so i dont know what to say,

good luck

6. blazindorito

OG, stands for original.

Regarding the hoses I already fixed that. I had one of my friends dad's make me hoses and a spare to fit the o-ring style to flare fittings. I was now having trouble with the steering shaft.

I will go to the junkyard and try to find a double u-joint from an XJ. I will let you know what happens. thanks.

7. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I don't think the XJ steering shaft is going to fit the steering box side, IIRC the XJ shaft is a direct replacement for the later steering box's with the smaller input shaft.