Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

HELP- Strange noise

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Confederate9, Jan 15, 2002.

1. Confederate9

Confederate9 1/2 ton status

hey, for the past couple days my blazer has been making some wierd noises.
    its like a sqeeling/grinding noise
    it doesnt happen every time i drive, but like if i go some where, it will do it going, but not on the way home.
    when i have my windows down it sounds like its coming from the passenger side of the truck, from either the middle of the truck to the front.
    any ideas?
    i need some help!

<font color=red>K5: Because size DOES matter</font color=red>
    85 K5 4IN LIFT 35 GOOD YEAR WRANGLER MT/R, AMERICAN RACING WHEELS

2. Slayer

Slayer 1/2 ton status

Eastern Colorado, jokingly referred to as Western
    <font color=blue>This may very well be the same problem that I had. And that is the front drive shaft rotating. Don't know why, and it has happened to several CK5'ers, but the front drive shaft will start rotating, especially when driving at a constant speed for a few minutes. Then when you slow down, the rear drive shaft which is being slowed by the brakes, stops faster, and the front shaft continues rotating and slowing down. This can and will cause a grinding noise.
    </font color=blue><font color=red>
    One of the CK5 old-timers (Grim-Reaper I believe) told me to take off the floor transfer case shifter cover, and I would see the front drive shaft spinning away. He was right.
    </font color=red><font color=green>
    What I ended up doing as a fix, was to take a 1 inch nylon strap, measure it for length, then sew some velcro to it. I can use the strap between the front drive shaft and the closest mounting place, to keep the shaft from spinning.
    </font color=green><font color=orange>
    And since I have manual hubs anyway, I will have to get out of the truck to engage them, and I can reach underneath, and rip off the velcro'ed strap. Seemed like the easiest solution for me. Don't know how other CK5'ers have solved the problem, but I'd be interested to know.[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    </font color=orange>

<font color=blue>I don't know everything, I just think I do.............</font color=blue>[​IMG]

3. Confederate9

what are other peoples fixes for this problem?

4. Confederate9

im wondering if there are any fixes that wouldnt require me to strap anything up

5. TorkDSR

TorkDSR 1/2 ton status

did you chech the simple stuff? pull the front wheel and inspect the brake rotor? do a general re-greasing on eveything etc?

beligerence doesn't justify intelligence.
    <font color=blue>wheelers hate posers.</font color=blue>
    <font color=red>79k15/400/700r4/205/38.5</font color=red>

6. Slayer

Slayer 1/2 ton status

Eastern Colorado, jokingly referred to as Western
    Yup, checked all the simple stuff. Even spoke with 3 different differential shops. They called the spinning front drive shaft an uncommon problem, but it still occurs, something like a sympathy spinning, caused by the rear drive shaft turning at a constant speed for an extended time, and the vibration causes the front shaft to spin. Also, was told that the better the front shaft is greased, the more chance that it would spin. That simple strap solved the problem for the moment. Planning on redoing the brakes and wheel bearings just as soon as the weather gets up above freezing.

<font color=blue>I don't know everything, I just think I do.............</font color=blue>[​IMG]