Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Help Swaping Rims

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by XBeastX, Apr 14, 2003.

1. XBeastX

XBeastX Registered Member

I need to swap rims on a set of tires I have, but I don't know the best way to go about it. I could go to the tire store and spend $60, but I could use the practice before I have to do it on the trail. Any help or advice would be apprreciated.

2. Beast388

Beast388 1/2 ton status

The easiest way is to pay to have it done at local tire shop. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

If you plan on doing it yourself, you'll need to unseat the beads, sometimes that can be done with a block of wood and hammer. Once you unseat the bead, then you'll need at least two thin pry bars to work the bead up over the lip on the rim. Obviously you'll need to do that twice per tire. Also, mix up some dish soap and water solution to lube the beads so you don't tear them.

All I can say is good luck, mounting tires without a machine is a pain in the hind-end. Years ago I worked for a local Goodyear, we mounted all big-rig tires by hand, now that sucked! /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

3. blazerboy72

blazerboy72 1/2 ton status

What size wheel is it? if its 16.5 its easy if its not then good luck.

4. BLZN4FN

BLZN4FN 1/2 ton status

I work for a Dealership and have all the high tech equipment.
    I did try one time to see how hard it was to dismount and remount a tire what a pain in the ass also very scary when
    you go to pop the bead with air and the tire jumps off the floor.
    My opinion you sould have a matching spare and if that is not enough buy beadlock wheels..

5. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

i went to americas tire corp and they did it for free. I think the key was how i kept talking about how I run 39.5" tires offroad and stuff like that. They start looking at you like "hmmm, this guy spends $1000 on tires on occassion, how can we get on his good side?". /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

j