Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

help swapping in ff14bolt

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by digity, Nov 20, 2004.

1. digity

digity 1/2 ton status

I have a 90GMC Jimmy. /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif What is the difference if any between 2wd n 4wd axle n will 2wd work. Also what yrs. will fit and won't fit.

2. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

the only problem you might run into is spring perch spacing and shock mounts, oh and a hybrid u-joint might be needed. the spring spacing is different from the 1/2 and 3/4 to the 1 tons, and the e-brake cables might not match if its older than ur truck. i dont even have the ebrake cables on mine hooked up.

3. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

oh yeah and new u bolts because the 14bff tube is bigger.

4. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

spring perches between 1/2 and 3/4 tons is the same, its the 1 tons that are different. other than that, you are correct, possibly a conversion joint, and new u bolts and plates.

5. afroman006

afroman006 1/2 ton status

You should know that if you put new spring perches on and you tilt the pinion up for better driveshaft angles, you may not be able to attach the driver's side shock to the axle b/c it rotates the mount too far underneath the axle tube. Might as well get or make new shock mounts while you're at it.

6. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

I had a 4x4 once that had a 2wd 14 bolt in it and the stock shocks worked fine. Once I lifted it the new shocks wouldn't work because they both hit the axle tube.

7. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I had a 4x4 once that had a 2wd 14 bolt in it and the stock shocks worked fine. Once I lifted it the new shocks wouldn't work because they both hit the axle tube.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah the shock mounts from a 2wd will work, but just about everyone that swaps in a 2wd 14FF will replace the stock shock mounts for different ones cause the 2wd shock mounts hang down to low and get hit. 4wd shock mounts are flush with the bottom of the axle tube /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. digity

digity 1/2 ton status

Thanks 4all the info guys. I found a decent deal on a ff14blt off a 75 k20. Will that fit and is that a good axle or should I hold off for a newer one. My truck is a 90Jimmy.

9. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

That will fit right in there, only thing needed will be new u-bolts and a conversion joint /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

10. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

All 73 - 87 I know for a fact are the same

11. digity

digity 1/2 ton status

104 thx I'm gonna grb this one then.

12. chev4life

chev4life 1/2 ton status

Yeah as everyone else said, but I would also get a set of tor up cadi calipers and use napa replacements and hit up some rear disks. The swap is pretty easy. Maybe chop a chunk off the bottom to gain a little clearance before you install..wish I would have done that. /forums/images/graemlins/grind.gif /forums/images/graemlins/hack.gif