Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Help! Tailgate window handle broke!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by nvrenuf, Jan 30, 2003.

1. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

I'm trying to help a friend so any info would be GREATLY APPRECIATED!

The truck is a mid 80's Blazer with a manual tailgate. The outer window crank handle has broken off with the window in the down position. He has taken the inner access panel off to work on it but the glass is in the way. Of course, he wants to replace the handle, what's the best way to disassemble the tailgate.

Does anybody have diagrams or anything?

I searched but mostly came up with electric gate info.

THANKS!!

2. steelsoldiers

steelsoldiers 1/2 ton status

Did the folding handle just pop off of the pin? Or, did the whold rotating assembly break off? If it's just the folding handle, he should be able to use the stub to raise the window. Just be careful not to break off the glass /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif if you do it with the gate open. Once the glass is up, the handle just unbolts from the shell. My handle kept popping off of that wimpy little pin /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif, so I took the handle to the drill press and bored a hole all the way through where the pin was seated. Then, I just bolted the handle on. Now I can crank her real hard and the handle never budges. If the whole assembly broke off, I'm not sure, but he'll probably have to jam a big srewdriver in it and use that to raise the window. Hope this helps.
    Sincerely,
    Chris /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif