Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

HELP... tbi and ecm problems

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by reeser, Oct 6, 2003.

1. reeser

reeser 1/2 ton status

the part of the ecm that controls timing is fried on my 87 blazer i have 2 options buy a completely new ecm and risk it frying again or skip the electronically controlled timing and wire up a standard HEI distributor. what should i do and why???????? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

2. Mobile_Mechanic

Mobile_Mechanic Registered Member

Is this fuel injected or does it just have the computer for the timing and quadrajet?
    I thought '87 was the first year for fuel injection?

3. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

How do you know it is fried?
    What trouble codes is it throwing?
    It may be something wrong as simple as replacing the pickup coil.
    If the ECM is bad it will throw codes 51 or 52
    If your motor is TBI you cant put an older HEI type dist in. It wont work with TBI

4. reeser

reeser 1/2 ton status

i had to take it to the mechanic cause i don't have code reading capabilities. it is fuel injected. the mechanic said that the ecm is a 2 part system 1 part controls injection and the other controls the timing. i can skip the timing part of the injection by running hei and a separate vacuum and hot wire-- he claims. this is why i'm checking with the 'experts'!!! cause i don't trust those guys. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

They are wrong. ECM monitors engine speed via the distributor (as well as adjusting timing, it's ALL tied together), so no, putting a non-ECM dist. in place won't fix anything, just cause all sorts of problems. My suggestion? Never go back to that shop.

The timing module on most everything GM/fuel injection is seperate, believe it's the EST or ESC module. As bad as that shop is, I'd suggest getting another opinion.

6. reeser

reeser 1/2 ton status

i do believe that it needs a new computer and module cause its acting like its not getting enough fuel and it's not in time, the ecm controls both of these. there's no way in hell that i'd let them work on my truck i just needed them to run the codes for me! thanks for the input guys. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

7. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

99% of the time the ECM is not the problem. Learn how that system works, and you'll have a better idea of what the problem is, and not just blame the ECM every time there is a problem.

ECM's can and do go bad, just like every other man-made item, but it's awfully easy to blame something you don't understand.

8. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

You do have the capibility to read the trouble codes. It is as easy bending a paperclip into a u shape and sticking the ends into two holes next to each other on your ALDL connector located under dash below the steering wheel.
    Heres some sites with info on how to do it and what the codes mean:
    chevythunder.com trouble codes

http://www.troublecodes.net/GM/

I think That shop is giving you a line of BS. Trying to sell you a new ECM when you may not need one.

Is your check engine light coming on or not working?

Does the check engine light (CEL) come on when the key is turned to the ON position but the engine is not started?

9. reeser

reeser 1/2 ton status

the check engine light didn't make it back on when i did the swap. the ecm and the esc have both fried, that explains what i was experiencing with my rig. so it makes some sense to buy it. it's only going to be 100 bucks for both of them, so that's not too bad and i sure hope that i can figure out how to install it LOL!