Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Help! TH350 went manual!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Blazer79, Mar 18, 2002.

1. Blazer79

Blazer79 1/2 ton status

Yesterday I took my Blazer for its first test drive around the block with the 454. Before I removed the 350, the tranny was working perfectly. Now, if I just shift to "D" and drive, it will stay in 1st gear all the time. I have to shift to L1 and when I want it to shift, move the lever to L2 and then to D. What's going on?

I checked ATF level and it's OK. The kickdown cable is disconnected because the old bracket didn't fit the new manifold and the new bracket hasn't arrived from summit racing. I made sure the kickdown cable was not in the "pulled" position. I also connected the vacuum line properly.

Any ideas? Thanks.

2. 4GUNZ4X4Z

4GUNZ4X4Z 1/2 ton status

Check all your vacume lines on the carburater, chances are thats your fix. Another thing to check is the kickdown cable, but I'm leaning towards the vacume lines.

3. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

your not getting enough vacume

4. swiggettbj

swiggettbj Registered Member

There are three things that can affect the shift of your old style automatic tranny, vaccum to the valve body, the kich down cable and the governer on the left side of the tranny. I've had simular problems when gov. would not expand as the tranny picked up speed

5. marv_springer

marv_springer 1/2 ton status

I agree w/ mudhog.... Your vacuum line is pinched, has a leak, or not connected somehow.

Marv

6. fortcollinsram

fortcollinsram 1/2 ton status

I agree with the lack of vacuum...does you new BBC have a wild cam in it? make sure your engine is creating enough vacuum to run the brake booster and all the other vacuum related components (vacuum advance if applicable)...

Chris

7. Blazer79

Blazer79 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the replies, guys. I'll definitely check the vacuum line. I did feel it didn't connect tightly on the tranny end. Maybe that's it. Is it a good idea to seal all connecting points with silicone?

The 454 was in a tow truck before. I don't think it has a wild cam. I can brake perfectly. I do have a fluctiation in timing, but I'm going to post a new thread on that.

Thanks again.