Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Help the CB idiot

Discussion in 'Communication (CB | GPS | HAM)' started by stephan van leir, Aug 19, 2000.

1. stephan van leir

stephan van leir 1/2 ton status

OK, I was given a new cobra 18 WX ST for my birthday. Is this a good one? It has 3 weather channels, sound tracker, and instant chnl. 9. It seems nice. I also got a 82" stainless ant. I will be running it for a trail unit in Colorado, and Utah mostly. What type of upgrades should I do to this thing? Any info would be helpful. Like I said I am an idiot when it comes to CB`s.

2. 4GUNZ4X4Z

4GUNZ4X4Z 1/2 ton status

All u have to do is get an 18' piece of coax. This is the best for reception. You might want to get your CB tweaked n peaked for better distances.

<font color=blue>Professional <font color=red>JEEP EATER</font color=red>, it's a population control thing</font color=blue>[​IMG]

3. stephan van leir

stephan van leir 1/2 ton status

How do I go about getting the thing "tweaked and peaked"? I asume you mean to take it to a shop. What should I be looking for to get better range. I don`t like to take things to shops if I don`t know what I am talking about. They tend to see you coming. It`s like a red sign tatooed on your face. I think it says PLEASE OVER CHARGE ME!!! or maybe SELL ME STUFF I DON`T NEED!!!

4. Boss

Boss 1/2 ton status Author

LOL Steve. I here on the big red tattoo sign. But I got the exact same CB you got. It is a huge upgrade compared to my last POS CB I bought for my S10 years ago. Anyways, I got a 10 or 12ft fiberglass whip antenna. I bought a 20ft coax cable and hooked it up to the CB and to the Antenna. I mounted the antenna on my rear bumper on the driverside. I used a tennis ball on the antenna so it would bounce off the top. Anyways, no static, no noise from no where, no nothing, just crystal clear sounds. I didn't get it tweaked and peaked either. I just used it as is. Maybe when it goes bad in the future I will, but for now, its all good.
    Boss
    http://www.boss.coloradok5.com

[​IMG]