Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Help the idiot

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by stockk5, May 20, 2004.

1. stockk5

stockk5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Ok im really new into K5's i just got mine a few months ago and i love to go offroading w/ some friends in their trucks but i dont know the certain details of the trucks that make them better for off-roading. Basically i need to know what u need for say 35" tires..i got a 4" suspension lift i know i need to cut the wells to get some flex for them.

also Why is a Dana 60 great and a 10bolt bad.. and a 10bolt is the diff right? Help a retarded kid out! explain stuff! /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

2. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

the 10 bolt is considered week. the axle shafts neck down and are prone to breaking there. and the axle joints are week and can break, i haven't broken any part of my 10 bolt, but have spares if/when i do.

the d60 is very stout, quite hard to find cheap. you can still break them but take a lot more power/tire to do so.

4" and a little trimming with the /forums/images/graemlins/hack.gif will fit 35s just fine /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

3. duece21

duece21 1/2 ton status

I didn't say I needed help? /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

/forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

4. bigburban383

bigburban383 1/2 ton status

Are you scared that your 10 bolt may break? I have had a 10-bolt on my SUBURBAN (6600 lbs) and it has never once broken. I have maintained the fluid and replaced the U-joints a few times and Ball-joints once (i'm sure once before I got the truck). I beat the hell outta my truck too. The max tire size I have had were 35s.

5. stockk5

Will i need to get a D60 for those tires so im not rippin down the highway, turn and my axels blow up. Im planning on buying the Interco TSL/THORNBIRD's in 35" cuz i still need it as a road machine but want to do some fun offroading.

6. stockk5

ah ok u answered while i was asking again, thanks. What about the bolt pattern.. right now i have 6bolt.. to weak?

7. big83chevy4x4

you don't need a d60 for those tires, but its your call if you have the money and time to do it.

don't get the stuckbirds/suckbirds/shitbirds, they are a waste of money. they're better for a tire swing or something else. anything would be better than a thornbird even the bald BFG AT i have on my DD are better than those

8. bigburban383

bigburban383 1/2 ton status

Well, acutally the swampers you want are bigger than normal 35's(weight/width). If you got the jack get the D60, I mean theres no real downside to the upgrade. In the future you can upgrade even bigger and not worry too. On the other hand, 10 bolt = inexpensive

9. big83chevy4x4

the 6 lug and 8 lug 10b front are the same strength, but they have better brakes.

10. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

it all depends on how hard you wheel if you wheel hard and use a lot of the skinny peddle your going to break a 10bolt if you take it easy with a 10bolt and 35's you should be ok but i would carry spare axles with you /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

11. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I'd trust a 10 bolt front alot futher then I'd trust a 10 bolt rear. I'd love to have a Dana 60 front, but I'm setteling for 3/4 ton axles. (14 bolt FF rear axle and a Dana 44 8-lug front) I only paid $250.00 for the set. They've only got 3.73 gears, but thats a far cry from the stock 3.08's. Please keep in mind when you go to larger tires, you can burn up your automadic transmission if you have to high of a gears ratio. For me, the 3/4 ton axles are cheaper then regearing my stock axles. /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

12. namkrow

namkrow 1/2 ton status

don't get the thornbirds!
    Those tires are really pretty bad in the traction department. Hard to balance, too.

Stick with a 12.5" wide tire if you're only going 35's.
    Maybe a BFG Mud Terrain?

13. offroad87

offroad87 Registered Member

i have bfg muds on my daily driver k5 they are 35x12.5-15 i like the hell out of them. they are great on the highway, and they are great offroad. also very affordable. /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif