Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

HELP The K5 wont crank.

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by BamBamblazer, Sep 20, 2004.

1. BamBamblazer

BamBamblazer 1/2 ton status

Ok here is the story, the k5 has been sitting for a few months. We just moved so i went over to get it from the old house and it is dead as a door nail. So i jumped it anfd let it run for about 45 minuites and then shut it off. Tried to start it back up and nothing! No click or anything. SO i am thinking alt. but if the alt is bad how the hell does the thing run with no elect. from the battery or the alt? The battery is a red top that was new just b4 the wheeling trip b4 i parked it. Any thoughts????????? /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

2. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Your battery is likely junk.

Have it tested first.

Optimas generally are junk after one discharge. If it has sat for a few months it is sulfated and will never take a recharge. Warranty it out.

3. justinf

justinf 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Optimas generally are junk after one discharge.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not totally true, I had a blue top that was discharged many times before it became junk.

I also know of several others that have been discharged and were able to be recharged and are still going.

In fact the red top in my jeep has been discharged twice since I got it and it holds a charge just fine.

4. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    Optimas generally are junk after one discharge.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not totally true, I had a blue top that was discharged many times before it became junk.

I also know of several others that have been discharged and were able to be recharged and are still going.

In fact the red top in my jeep has been discharged twice since I got it and it holds a charge just fine.

[/ QUOTE ]

Discharge it and leave it discharged overnight and guaranteed that it sulfates up.

The reason is that there is no free acid inside an optima, it is absorbed into the media inside the battery.

I've sold dozens of Optimas and never had a single one take a recharge after it came back discharged.

If recharged right away they're generally like any other battery, but if left discharged, they will sufate QUICKLY and far worse than any other battery design.

5. justinf

justinf 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Discharge it and leave it discharged overnight and guaranteed that it sulfates up.

[/ QUOTE ]

The blue top I had was in my Toyota that a had a problem in the wiring and would totally drain the battery when it sat for a while, which it usually sat for long periods, everytime I had to put it on a charger, and it charged back up and was fine as long as I started it regularly. Lasted several years like that (I never bothered to track down the problem in the wiring /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif). The battery didn't last as long as it should have, but neither would any other battery in that situation.

I have also discharged the red top in my jeep, and it sat for about a week or week and a half discharged, put it on the charger and it has been fine since then.

I'm just trying to point out the fact that optimas are not totally junk like you are claiming. If they do get discharged and left for a while, they do not become totally useless.

6. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

A blue top is obviously going to be less likely to do this, it's designed to be discharged.

I never said they were total crap. It's just the nature of the design that makes the worst possible thing that can be done to them deep and sustained discharge.

7. down4thakrown

down4thakrown 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

try taking a hammer and punch or screw driver and give a few taps on the solenoid of the starter or if its an auto run the shifter through all the gears and bring it back to park and kinda pull up on it when cranking it over.