Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Help the knowledgeless CB buyer

Discussion in 'Communication (CB | GPS | HAM)' started by Butch, Feb 16, 2001.

1. Butch

Butch 1/2 ton status

I am planning to buy a CB for my K-5. It will be for talking on the trail mostly with very little talk on the road. It needs to be durable and functional. I am open to suggestions from the ones of you who know.
    Thanks, T

I thought I was wrong once,
    but I was mistaken

2. DBLAZER

DBLAZER 1/2 ton status

Its been my experience the cb isnt as important as the antenna. I run cobra 29 that has been peeked out to about 20watts. I run that into 18foot coax and then into a steel whip mounted off the rear bumper. Make sure the SWRS are as flat as possible and you should talk just fine.

[​IMG]
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://dblazer.coloradok5.com>http://dblazer.coloradok5.com</A>

3. REDNECK

REDNECK Registered Member

I usually run a galaxy 88 with a wilson 1000 magnet mount right in the center of the steel roof. I run a uniden grant xl in my little s-10 p/u also with a wilson magnet mount. I admit I am partial to wilson's just because my BAD experiances with whips. With my wilson's I can unscrew the top from the base, put on the weather cap, and put my rig in the garage. Of coarse like parts for a K5, these things I mentioned are not cheap! Hope this helps...

4. Butch

Butch 1/2 ton status

Ok, thanks, but next ? What is a wilson and a whip, and what is the diff. I assume that one of them is magnetic mount and one bolts on? I would go with the bolt on, but sounds like no matter what it is if set up correctly will suit my needs.

but I was mistaken

5. 4GUNZ4X4Z

4GUNZ4X4Z 1/2 ton status

Butch
    The setup DBlazer has is perfect for what you need. You dont necessarily need a cobra 29, they are the best that cobra put out if it's the LTD version, but they will run you about $129 new and aout $40 from a pawn shop. The difference between a wilson and a whip is that wilson has a coil at the base to simulate basically a 102" whip. As far as a magnetic or bolt on mount that is something you buy seperatly.You can pick up a wilson for about $50 bucks or you can get a whip for around $10-$30 bucks. If you get a 102" whip it will be the best setup, but if you get anything less in length then a wilson would be a better choice, but dont rule out a whip its still a good choice even if its only 48".
    Some pointers for you. Stay away from a fiberglass antenna. Get a 18' piece of coax. Mount your antenna anywhere you want on your on your truck, but make it so that the tip of you antenna is the highest point of your truck. Stay away from a magnetic mount. Get a CB that matches your budget if its for trail use then it doesnt need to be fancy. Grounding is very very important, make sure you have a good ground. Hope this helps. Any more questions just ask.

PS I run a cobra 29LTD, 18'coax and a wilson2000 in my K5.
    Michael

<font color=blue>Professional <font color=red>JEEP EATER</font color=red> it's a population control thing.</font color=blue>[​IMG]

6. Blazer_Boy

Blazer_Boy 1/2 ton status

Whatever you do, buy Uniden. In the glory days when Cobra was hot stuff Uniden manufactured there units. They got in a dispute and seperated. Now Uniden manufactures under their own name and they are outstanding. I own a Washington Base Station and the Grant XL mobile, great units. Try anything Uniden has with the prefix PC or Grant, you wont regret it.

June 2001 - The Texas Sawz All masacre begins. Be afraid rust, be very afraid. [​IMG]

7. Butch

Butch 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the info guys.

but I was mistaken

8. Rebel88

Rebel88 1/2 ton status

If you really want a wilson you can get them in roof mounts. They run about 50-75 bucks for a 1000 depending on where you get it and who you talk to. On a Blazer i think that is your best bet because tree branches and other stuff like to pull magnetics off of roofs.

Later

Have you driven OVER a Ford lately?