Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

help.....throttle body spacer install on 5.7liter

Discussion in '1992-Present Chevy & GMC models' started by hoppy, May 11, 2003.

1. hoppy

hoppy Registered Member

what the???? they said 30 minute install!!!!! directions to me are very vague. they talk about undoing a wire harness bolt and a line clamp. im no mechanic i look under the vehicle and see all kinds of harnesss and line clamps.
    are the 2 steel lines coming out of the back of the throttle body the lines they are talking about? i think they are. do i need to disconnect everything off the throttle body to get the spacer in? please help this really pissing me off!!!!

2. Shorts

Shorts 1/2 ton status

those steel lines are your fuel lines. yes, it would be wise to disconnect them before you remove the throttle body. i've never installed a TB spacer, but just tag and remove any lines/wires that look at though they'll get stretched when you install the spacer. of course, you'll still need to reconnect them, so make sure they have slack to do so.

3. hoppy

hoppy Registered Member

thanks for the advice.......ill give it another shot today!!!

4. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

30 minutes is like, "as quick as" /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif. I could do it in 30 minutes and I am sure many other mechanically inclined people around here could you will get her done when you get her done.

5. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

I've done this mod.

I didn't disconnect anything off the tbi. The clamps they're talking about are on the transmission bellhousing and hold the fuel lines in place...the idea is to loosen them, allow line to come through, and then tighten them back up. Not much line came though/loosened up for me though, so don't be worried if you can't move them much. Then, I just took out the three bolts holding the TBI to the manifold, peeled off the old gasked (which came off nicely), layed down a new gasket, slipped the spacer in with the other gasket on top of it, and bolted the TBI back down with the bolts that come in the kit. Make sure you install the spacers underneath the throttle bracket and then adjust your TV cable too.

More questions?....just ask. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. MousePowrd

MousePowrd 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I've done this mod.

I didn't disconnect anything off the tbi. The clamps they're talking about are on the transmission bellhousing and hold the fuel lines in place...the idea is to loosen them, allow line to come through, and then tighten them back up. Not much line came though/loosened up for me though, so don't be worried if you can't move them much. Then, I just took out the three bolts holding the TBI to the manifold, peeled off the old gasked (which came off nicely), layed down a new gasket, slipped the spacer in with the other gasket on top of it, and bolted the TBI back down with the bolts that come in the kit. Make sure you install the spacers underneath the throttle bracket and then adjust your TV cable too.

More questions?....just ask. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Did you notice any fuel mileage increase from the spacer?

7. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

Nope, nothing significant. Sure wasn't the 10% increase (1mpg in my case) they claim. I'd notice that.

8. Shorts

Shorts 1/2 ton status

i never though tbi spacers are all they're cracked up to be - never impressed by one enough to install it on my truck. i think it'll tinker with your fuel/power curve.

i'd do a custom air intake - you'll definitely see results. i'm not talking about the FIPK or crap like that, i'm talking about a 4" dual intake /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif TBIs do respond to more air /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9. hoppy

hoppy Registered Member

what a pain in the balls. the strap holding the fule lines was in an almost unreachable spot. had a real hardtime with that....after about two hours all was done. i ended up taking the whole throttle body off as the gasket wouldnt come off without some help. i disconnected the fuel lines and all the vacuum hoses and plugs and she came right off.
    im pretty impressed with myself. im no mechanic and this was pretty tough i think. i suppose i notice a slight increase in power especially when im cruising and looking to pass. we'll see what happens. truck fired right up after.
    thanks for the help guys!!!!! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

10. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

everyone I know with spacers is happy. I have a friend with the full Turbocity setup and he loves it he just needs the adjustable fuel pump now and he thinks it will be perfect.

11. 89K1500Chevy

89K1500Chevy 1/2 ton status

Damn i did the same thing on mine i did the install in like 10 mins or less I did notice a passing difference and what not but most of that is from the TH350 swap i did i love the kickdown to 2nd gear while at like 50 mph then back into 3rd at around 70mph but i need to get rid of my 14 year old cat converter thats really holding me back at speed. Im getting the Flowtech headers, Catco Hi flow cat and replacing my flowmaster 50 with a new 40. BTW anything you do to the upper part of your engine EX: intake, tb spacer, chip for more fuel stuff like that to get the most power outta it get a good exhaust system to go with it. makes everything flow smoother in and out. /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif www.zombieoffroading.8m.net

12. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I am doing full length Dynomax headers to turbo mufflers to compliment the TBI spacer, open intake, timing changes, and fuel pressure I am doing to the top of the motor.

13. 89K1500Chevy

Dont get turbo mufflers My buddy had a pair on his 67 Muscletang(lol) and he got rid of them for some Flowmaster Deltaflow 40 series and an H pipe MAN does it sound badass now it opened up the system. He gets better MPG and power. Sounds damn good its a 302 with 289 heads mated to a c4 tranny. fun to ride in but we put it up to a 305 camaro which pulled away from him at 110 mph. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif but i think the stang would win in a 1/4 mile race. /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif www.zombieoffroading.8m.net

14. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

my friend has hooker mufflers I believe they are turbos I want those. They sound sick on his 89 GMC. I like the Flowmaster sound but I don't like the low constant rumble whne you drive around for a few hours it gets old. It never gets old with my buddy's GMC, nice and quiet as he goes then he guns it and BAM that high R rasp sound that I just love.

15. trailromper

trailromper Registered Member

I'm glad to see this issue come up, did you really tell much of difference after the spacer install. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

16. 89K1500Chevy

I ran a little faster in 1/4 mile time... Does that count?

17. 91GMCSuburban

91GMCSuburban 1/2 ton status

I did the install, no problem... But now my shift points are all screwed up. The instructions say to adjust the throttle cable, but mine is fixed.

Any suggestions?

/forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif

18. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

not throttle cable, tv cable. The tv cable affects shifting its the other cable that should be connected to your throttle linkage I believe. never adjusted one so sorry after that point.

19. 91GMCSuburban

91GMCSuburban 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the clarification. Its a bugger to get to also.

20. 89K1500Chevy

its easy all you need to do is get a pair of pliars and clamp down on the tabs on the backof it and pull the cable out more till its not so tight I had to remove mine out the bracket and right now its just ziptied very well to the bracket untill i go make a new braket to bolt to the old one....