Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

help! Tie-Rod or bushings replacement

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Bross82, Aug 7, 2002.

1. Bross82

Bross82 1/2 ton status

Hey, I noticed today a thump when i turned the steering wheel from the wheels turned to the right at about where they were centered to moving left. i looked when i got home at the steering components and found i can rotate the tie rod a few degrees with my hands, i think i did it even with one hand one time. Do I just need to replace the bushings or does the whole tie-rod itself? also just to make sure due to my own confusion in the past over its name, i'm talking about the part that connects to the steering arm and connects to another part connected to the steering box.

thanks,
    matt

2. tipoil

tipoil 1/2 ton status

Wep u will need a new tye rod because u can'not overhaul them..

3. RESTORE89

RESTORE89 1/2 ton status

there are 3 of those joints, 1 at each wheel and 1 at the gear box,
    and you should be able to rock them front to rear with some effort,
    but they should not be sloppy.

4. Bross82

Bross82 1/2 ton status

hey, i went to my mechanic this morning and he told me as far as moving the tie rod a little its normal.... but when i turn the wheel from side to side past when the wheels are centered it makes a popping noise.. not sure if i mentioned earlier.... he turned the wheel back and forth for me so i could see, the rod shaped part that comes out of the steering box and connects to another part that goes to the tie rod could be seen popping down when the wheels were turned i think mainly when going from right to the left. he said the steering box is pretty much on its way out.

I was wonderng what I should do to fix this. If I do something I try to do it right with the part i want from the beginning but when things like this come up with barely any money it can be hard to do. Where should I go for a rebuilt steering box, should I get one that has the fittings in the rebuilt steering box for hydraulic steering later on and where should i go? as i said i think all i can really afford is the steering box and no other modified components.....

thanks,
    matt

thanks,
    matt

5. Leadfoot

Leadfoot 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Go to http://www.westtexasoffroad.com or PM TheLakeRat on this site. He will hook you up by rebuilding your steering box and/or fitting it with fittings for a later hydraulic assist setup.

6. Bross82

Bross82 1/2 ton status

thats the site i was thinking of but couldnt find.

thanks,
    matt

7. Leadfoot

I see you live in Spencer. Do you ever make it to the Springfield/Northampton area?

8. Bross82

Bross82 1/2 ton status

Besides this site, my friend mentioned the agr steering box with the rock ram steering system.... is this much better than the other mentioned in the previous post? does the agr steering box come with the fittings for the hydraulic lines? are there any others steering boxes i should look into?

as far as how i described the condition of the steering box in the post above, how far gone does the steering box seem to be? when it pops down, it may pop down about a half inch or so... just trying to figure how much time i have to decide what to do... not sure how long this has been like this either, just more noticeable now

thanks again,
    matt

sorry, I never make it around that area, most of my driving ends up in Worcester or any towns I have to drive through to get back home.

9. RESTORE89

RESTORE89 1/2 ton status

i have been through a few aftermarket rebuilds and none were very good,
    have heard good and bad about agr. after 3 rebuilds i went to the dealer and spent
    almost $700 for a new one, and no more problems.
    if your box is popping like you say, sounds near the end.

10. Bross82

Bross82 1/2 ton status

if i get a new steering box.... what is a good ratio for a steering box to have?

thanks,
    matt

11. Leadfoot

To answer your question I would have to answer it with the following "hearsay" (as I have not had a box from AGR or WestTexasOffroad). I have heard several complaints with the AGR system (mostly about the ram itself and the lines, as well as some overheating of the new box and pump), there are others on this site who have gone through WestTexasOffroad and not had any issues that I know of, but others have not had issues with their AGR system, so take it for what it's worth (not much /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif ).