Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

HELP...time sensitive...need D60 brake brackets, or CUCV brake calipers

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Highjaxx, Jul 22, 2005.

1. Highjaxx

Highjaxx 1/2 ton status

Turns out i have a military D60 front, the brackets are fine, but domestic D60 calipers dont seem to fit, so i need calipers to match the Bendix brackets, or i need to get some standard Dana brackets.

If these can be acquired from somewhere new, or remanufactured, that would be prefered as they are brake parts.

Thx for everyones help.

2. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

Brackets are brackets, the fact that it's military doesn't matter. I suggest that your brackets (or possibly the reman calipers) are worn causing the (I assume) excessive slack. Several aftermarket manufacturers make the slides in varying thicknesses to help with this problem.

3. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

If it helps any the CUCV manual I've got shows

2238739 and 2238740 as being "all but M1009 brake components". The description is "caliper assembly left" and "caliper assembly right" respectively.

Those should be the GM part numbers, hope that helps in some way.

4. Highjaxx

Highjaxx 1/2 ton status

thxs...ill try those part #'s

actually the tolerances are too tight?

cant get all the shims in place to hold calipers on, had to hammer the original brackets in,(split one doing it)<---not correct :P

so any way, if there are any more ideas im open, thx again

5. nvrenuf

So you split/broke the actual caliper bracket while hammering in the wedge under the caliper? :eek1:

6. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

If you are talking about those brackets that the calipers mount to, I've got a pair of used ones in good condition in the shop you can buy for $50 a pair plus shipping. :deal: :waytogo:

7. Highjaxx

Highjaxx 1/2 ton status

i split the small mounting hardware shim brackets that the retaining bolt goes thru.

Ill talk to you about those brackets shortly. :D

8. thatK30guy

Post pics of the brackets, shim, etc. so we can get a visual on this. :waytogo:

9. RaisedK5

RaisedK5 1/2 ton status

I think he means he broke the retainer that i'm driving out with a screwdriver in the Pic below.
    [​IMG]

Is the caliper seated all the way at the top??? I've never had much trouble with mine. Is the spring portion of the retainer in the correct place?? On top of the retainer??

10. Highjaxx

Highjaxx 1/2 ton status

that is the piece that i split, it wouldn't fit alone, there is no way the thin piece of metal would go on the other side

the shop trying to fix what i did has spoken with dana, and they said all GM trucks came with all dana parts, (bendix is military?, i have bendix :( ), or this is what we have come to believe, the calipers are close to fitting

im trying to get ahold of some original dana brackets, since we've gone thru about every D60 brake caliper to try and match

maybe im overlooking something easy, but i think the military used different calipers, and im trying to make this easy to get parts for

lol, the saga continues

11. nvrenuf

As far as I know the brackets on all GM version D60's are all the same.

Fwiw, I have mixed & matched caliper brackets on civilian and CUCV axles with no problems, In fact, the the front axle in my crew cab is a CUCV axle and while it was a USAF truck it appears to be civilian spec. The crew cab calipers fit the CUCV axle just fine.

12. thatK30guy

Nope. There is no difference in brackets or calipers. All the same thing. Bendix is a very common name associated with brakes. Its like Dana is associated with axles and parts, Bendix is where the brake parts come from.

Don't try to confuse yourself or others for that matter. Nothing is different between the brackets and calipers from a military and civilian version D60 front. Nothing. Absolutely nothing. You may as well save yourself the time, hassle and headache and forget the "quest for the correct part number." You won't find it. There is none.

I'm gonna bet you didn't have the caliper seated squarely or correctly on the bracket in order to get the shim-thingie back in. Hence the reason it messed up. If you are still interested in my brackets, I quoted $14 shipping for the pair to your door.

If you want, go to your favorite parts store and cross reference their books what you said. I'm gonna say 100% will say they all share the same part number.

13. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Just to back that statement up (that they are the same) just pulled the '85-89 parts manual, and the part numbers are the same as the one in the CUCV part manual.

Those numbers I posted before are wrong, no idea what they are, (lists calipers under 4 different part numbers) GM parts manual uses 14002543 for LH, and 14002544 for RH. CUCV manual shows the '43 number as well. Apparently the military only had brakes on the LH side. :wink1:

14. dieselponyexpress

dieselponyexpress 1/2 ton status

I had similar problems installing new calipers on my M1008. After all it was so tight I screwed the new caliper off and laid it next to the old one for comparison.
    I found out that the new one had some kind of a small nose on it about 3/8" longer than on the old one. This nose interfered with the knuckle IIRC (could be another axle part though).

Some work with a cutting disk on the caliper and I was done!

15. Highjaxx

Highjaxx 1/2 ton status

i cant get the shop to stop trying to find an off the shelf answer and just take 5 mins to look at the darn thing, i know i should just do it myself, but ive been neck deep into this truck so long im just flat tired

why cant a mechanic just repair something!

ok rant over

does anyone have DANA caliper brackets on their truck?, does anyone have Bendix calipers to match their Bendsix brackets, this is getting to be out of control, and the best part is its costing me money :P

im glad i have you guys for help, and to listen to me complain

16. Highjaxx

Highjaxx 1/2 ton status

going to take my truck to 4wdfactory in a couple days since i live so close, thx again for all the advise fellas

atleast greg wont get confused because its a 4x4 :D

17. thatK30guy

Again.......there is no "DANA caliper bracket." Its all Bendix cast on the brackets.