Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

help! timing chain rubbing cover?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Bross82, Mar 22, 2002.

1. Bross82

Bross82 1/2 ton status

hey, I finally finished the timing chain project last night. but, when i started it, there is a noise almost like a possible grinding noise but i'm not sure.

i installed a cloyes dual roller timing chain. i read in earlier posts that a dual chain will fit fine in the stock cover, so i went with that. the whole process seemed like everything went fine. But, the timing chain cover was slightly pushed in on one spot on the inside of the cover though, but nothing seemed to be restricted when putting the cover back on. the only thing i noticed having trouble with was getting the lower seal past the oil pan lip. besides this the only other problem i had was i could not find a u-shaped washer that has the long alternator bolt go through it. i dont think the belt not being aligned this little bit should make this noise.

the only changes was the single to dual timing chain and the gaskets. aside from the noise it seemed to run better than before. i'm not sure what else it could be. could it be because of the new crankshaft sprocket rubbing against the block?

thanks a lot,
    matt

2. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Roller chains make more noise than the stock chains. Perhaps that's what you're hearing?

3. Blazer_Boy

Blazer_Boy 1/2 ton status

Well its not a big thing to fix, but live and learn I guess. A double roller timing chain is bigger than a stock one and sometimes they rub on the block. Look behind it around by the oil galley plugs (three plugs in a semi circle) . Sometimes the chains will rub against because of a lack of clearance. Take of the cover and oil pan make sure everything it covered up well. Then take a grinder and clean the area that is causing the problem. I'd polish a bit to after you are done grinding to make it look better, even though no one will see.

4. Bross82

Bross82 1/2 ton status

i havent been able to get past the timing chain cover again yet... but if there are no signs of it rubbing anything at all.. could it just be the chain? it may have been. But, as far as i could tell with the noise, i thought it was too noticeable for just a different type of chain. it wasnt loud, but i could hear it from inside my truck, the door and hood were open. even though those were open isnt that kinda loud for a timing chain. i thought you could really only notice a difference in noise with the gear drive chains.

thanks,
    matt

5. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Timing chains will not hit the block. I have been building engines for 20 years and never have seen or heard of a timing chain hitting the block. They do however become loose and can hit the timing chain cover but you have a new chain and gears so that won't be your problem. Did you install the cam gear correctly? How about the crank gear? You should have installed both gears so that you can see the timing marks and they should align to each other. If you installed the cam gear backwards then the chain will not line up correctly with the crank gear and could give you troubles. Same goes for the crank gear.

6. Bross82

Bross82 1/2 ton status

I finished last week, I ended up needing a new (stock) timing chain cover.

Thanks everyone for all the help,
    matt