Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

HELP - Timing marks dont line up...

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by reddog64, Oct 16, 2001.

1. reddog64

reddog64 1/2 ton status

OK... I am re-gasketing (is that a word) my 350... and I am putting on a new timing set... chain set... well I'm trying to line up the two dots on the current (old ones) set and they wont line up... there always a little off...
    How do I reset all the timing marks and readjust the cam and crank to the right positions to get my "dots" lined up...

2. chevyracing

chevyracing 1/2 ton status

They only go on one way. Install the crank gear as you normally would then put the cam gear on without the chain. Just turn them over till the marks line up then take the cam gear off and install the chain. Two things to watch for. If your engine has a large cam in it make sure the marks are NOT lined up on purpose, for instance if the engine has been degreed for the cam. Another thing to is some cam gears have more than one mark on them.(IE: a circle, a square, and/or a diamond shape) If you don't have a huge cam generally you line the two circles up. Another thing is DO NOT turn the engine over using the damper bolt. If you need to turn the bottom end get the actual tool they make to do it if the engine is on the stand or use the flywheel if it is not on a stand. Re-gasket is now a word, you may use it.. LOL

Like to go sloppin' 'round in da mud in a rapid fashion....=) [​IMG]