Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

HELP!!! Timing problems 91K5

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Sandhills Blazer, Aug 10, 2002.

1. Sandhills Blazer

Sandhills Blazer Registered Member

Help! I just went out to set the timing on my 91K5, hooked everything up. Started the beast up and let it warm up to operating temp, shut it off and disconnected the tan/black wire and losened the distributor hold down. Now when I attempt to start it, it fires and shuts down in about 2 seconds. Connect the wire back up and it starts and runs OK. What is going on? Help!

2. Sandhills Blazer

Help guys. There must be someone here that has had or heard of someone else who had this problem. Help!

3. GRINCH

GRINCH 1/2 ton status

When I time mine I start it up and then disconnect the wire.

4. Sandhills Blazer

I tried that too. As soon as the connection is broken - it dies. Dead. Get in and try to start and it fires as if to run for about 2 or 3 seconds. Never runs with the wire disconnected. Hope someone on here has at least had or heard of this problem. Thanks for the tip.

5. JDELBLAZ

JDELBLAZ 1/2 ton status

your timing may be too retarded start the car with the wire connected and advance your timing a couple of degrees than disconect it and repeat till it runs but dont over do it than once you get it runing set your timing to the proper setting

6. Blazer_Boy

Blazer_Boy 1/2 ton status

Time it about 10 degrees with the wire plugged in and then go around and unplug your wire. The engine won't like to stay running much after 0 degrees when you unplug that wire.

7. Sandhills Blazer

Thanks for the suggestions. I tried to advance the timing with the wire connected. When I started to advance the timing as I turned the distributor counter-clockwise, after a few degrees the engine started to shut off. As in died. Do you know if there is anything inside there that can cause it to die when you start to advance the timing or when you disconnect the tan/black wire? I'm about to the point where I am going to order a MSD distributor.

8. Sandhills Blazer

Re: HELP!!! Timing problems 91K5 <UPDATE>

Well I went out and got the MSD distributor and installed it today. Started great. Disconected the Tan/Black wire, and what do you know it runs. I then set the timing to 6 degrees advanced. Connected the wire back and the timing stayed at 6 degrees. Tapped petal and the timing jumped straight up. Disconnected the wire and it stayed there. What is going on here? What am i missing here? Oh I have an intermitten miss as well. I also checked the wires behind the distributor and can't see any frayed wires. Help!

9. zcarczar

zcarczar 1/2 ton status

when you connect that wire back on you are allowing the computer to take control of the timing. That is probably why it jumped way up when you gave the throttle a blip, but did it not come down?

10. rh88k5

rh88k5 Registered Member

possible cause of stalling after 2-3 seconds could be a bad ignition pick-up coil inside your distributer, mine went on me last week, it checked good with an ohmmeter, but when i took it out the outer insulation just fell apart!

11. Sandhills Blazer

Nothing happened to the timing until I gave the throttle a blip. When I disconnect the tan/black wire the timing does not drop down. Once I move the distributor it drops. Is it suppose to jump up as soon as you connect the wire again or do you have to hit the throttle to get it to respond? Thanks for the input.

12. Sandhills Blazer

Thanks for the suggestion. As you can see I purchased and installed the MSD distributor and it fixed the stalling problem. Now on the skipping problem. It does run much better with the timing advanced to 6 degrees. Think I'll try 8 degrees and see what happens.