Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Help to Identify (pics of axles)

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by muscle, Jan 23, 2003.

1. muscle

muscle 1/2 ton status

Im looking at these axlesthat are currently under an '84 3/4 ton with a 6.2 diesel eng.

[​IMG]

Here is the front axle that I'm having trouble figuring out what it is.

[​IMG]

Here is the rear that I think is a 9 1/2" 14 bolt corporate.

I've used the axle identification chart which is how I come to the conclusion for the rear axle but cant figure out the front. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

10 bolt front, SF 14 bolt rear.

Rene

3. muscle

muscle 1/2 ton status

So are these worth a darn compared to a D44/12bolt rear?

4. 96chevysfa

96chevysfa 1/2 ton status

the rear 14bs/f is stronger than the 12 bolt, but the 44 and 10 bolt front are very similar in strength. just more affter market parts for the 44.

5. chulisohombre

chulisohombre 1/2 ton status

i'd keep what you got personnally.likie was said the 14 sf will be stronger than the 12 bolt but still has the c clip on the shafts.is it 6 lug or 8 lug?

6. muscle

muscle 1/2 ton status

the 12 bolt is a 6lug

7. DEMON44

DEMON44 Low-Tech Redneck

That 3/4 ton stuff should be an 8bolt pattern, shouldn't it? My '80 K25 had a Corp 10 up front and a 14FF rear with 8bolt pattern. I thought 6bolts only came on 1/2tons.

8. ZonkRat

ZonkRat 1/2 ton status

14SF rear Gears stronger than 12B,axles buot same,still has c-clips.Corporate front,if 8 lug has little better brakes,44 has more parts available. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9. muscle

muscle 1/2 ton status

yeah the axle in the pics are all 8 lug. The 12 bolt/D44 are 6 lug stock units that are currently on my '77 blazer. I was thinking I might swap these 3/4 ton axles in if they were better. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

10. Lance

Lance 1/2 ton status

If I were you, I would keep what I have. IMO, for the money you will spend on thay swap, including the new 8 lug rims, you will not be provided with a proportionate upgrade in overall durability. Some of the most hardcore wheelers on here (Marv Springer comes to mind) run a similar setup to what you already have. I would either upgrade your current setup or, if you have been bitten by the bigger is better bug (I certainly have), keep looking for the 1-ton stuff. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif Just my .02.

11. 89GMCSuburban

89GMCSuburban 1/2 ton status

Whoops!! Everyone thinks the pics and the 8-lug stuff is YOUR truck, but those are the axles he's looking at!!! Yes, buy them and swap them in. That 14 bolt rear is stronger that your 12 bolt and the front 10 bolt will have larger brakes. This will set you up to run larger tires. If you don't rock crawl, these can handle 35" tires. The rear axle I'd stick with up to 38's. The C-clips can suck, but at least you will be 8 lug so you can buy a 14 bolt Full Floater later.

12. muscle

muscle 1/2 ton status

I dont rock crawl. I'm on the forever quest of creating the most badass hunting rig known to man. (but if there are some rocks between me and where the deer and antelope are playing, well....) I've got an '84 jimmy parked and ready to tear down.

As for these axles, the rear 14bsf in the pic, will it have any type of gov lock or limited slip as I now have in my 12bolt rear? I plan on an air locker in front. What will the differance be with an air locker in the 10 bolt VS the D44? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif