Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

help! took off body lift and steereing is tight.

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by CAROLINAK5, Apr 9, 2002.

1. CAROLINAK5

CAROLINAK5 1/2 ton status

is there an adjustment to be made on the steering shaft itself?
    thre looks to be a couple ofholes in the shaft. is there a pin on he bottom that will allow me to shorten the shaft? i didn't put the lift on so this is new ground to me.

2. riz

riz 3/4 ton status

<font color=blue> I would assume that it would have to be loosened up and shortenend just the oposite of when it was installed .....

3. CAROLINAK5

yea...but how???????????????????

4. BozoWise

BozoWise 1/2 ton status

If they have not modified the shaft at all the best thing to try would be to loosen the 2 bolts that clamp around the column at the firewall (15mm) and the two bolts under the dash vertically (15mm) and the four bolts under the column (1/2 usually gold) then pull the entire column towards the cab. Pushing the entire column forward is how most body lift kits suggest to do it; so I would suggest the opposite. If that doesn't get it let me know and I will go into more detail on a pin fix. Also don't quote me on bolt size but that is close for off the top of my head.

5. CAROLINAK5

bolt/nut sizes were correct. i had to grind/drill out the fasteners that were installed in the steereing shaft when the lift was first installed. who ever put it on lengthened te shaft, so wit a little penetrating oil and a lot of persuasive hammering, all is well.
    thanks for the help.

6. BozoWise

BozoWise 1/2 ton status

No problem glad you got it all done ;-)