Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

HELP!!!! Trail Emergency!!!

Discussion in 'Rocky Mountain Region' started by firefighter184, Jul 16, 2006.

1. firefighter184

firefighter184 1/2 ton status

The Punisher is currently sitting on Slaughterhouse, spending the night by herself. I cant get her to run and I couldn't get her off the trail under tow with the guys I was with. I'm looking for somebody (or somebodies) to mount an emergency rescue mission tomorrow, late afternoon. I will have intermittent internet access at best, so call me on my cell if you can help out. 720 217 4080

What's wrong with her? Everything was fine, no indication of trouble, when she just bogged down and died. We tried for about two hours to figure it out, including removing the gas cap and cooling down to check for vapor lock, checked all the vacuum hoses, all the wires and sensors (as far as my ignorant ass knows) looked fine. Seems like it's getting fuel and spark, but just wont stay running.

She'll idle REAL slow, barely running, but as soon as you give her gas, she dies. There's also a definite misfire, judging by the sound of the exhaust. I'm totally freaking out right now, leaving my baby on the trail overnight. If anybody can help, please call me. INTERCEPTOR and I will probably head up there tomorrow around 6:00pm, unless others can go up there with me sooner. I can be off work around 2:00pm, so if any of ya'll can help then, please let me know.

2. firefighter184

Oh, give me ten minutes to walk back to my house before anybody tries calling. I'm using the firehouse computer...

3. 5280k5

5280k5 1/2 ton status

John, I left you a voicemail on your phone. Let me know what I can do to help out. 303-520-6324 call me tonight or tomorrow am.
    And yeah, that totally sucks:(

4. WRENCH-HEAD

WRENCH-HEAD 1/2 ton status

If there is anything I can do to help let me know.
    cell 720-234-5608
    work 303-971-3705
    leave a message and I will call back as soon as I get it

5. B_to_C

B_to_C 1/2 ton status Author

I'm down for a rescue mission :D I get out of class at about 12:30 and don't have to work, i'll give you a call.

6. BIGNICK91

BIGNICK91 1/2 ton status

You know i'm down for goin back up there and bringing the punisher home . My truck was lonely sitting in the driveway all by herself. I can be home around 3:00 so let me know whats up

7. firefighter184

Right now it looks like this is likely to be a late afternoon early evening mission. Most of the guys I have talked to cant do much until after work (5:00 or later). I'm thinking about rounding up those who can go a little earlier (like maybe meeting at the 470/285 merge at 4:00) and getting a start and then those who can make it up later just run the trail til you see us. Please call me on my cell if you want to help and let me know what time you can run.

Guys, thanks alot for all of your offers of assistance.

Alex, I'll call you here in a little bit...

8. mrk5

mrk5 The Sticker Guy Moderator Vendor GMOTM Winner Author

Keep the rest of us updated on the outcome.

I hope everything is alright as far as sitting there overnight.

9. OrangeCrushK10

OrangeCrushK10 1/2 ton status

Wish I lived closer.

Check your distributor cap. I once had the screw that tightens it in place break and the timing was all screwed up and your description kinda sounds like a timing issue.

Best of luck!

10. mrk5

mrk5 The Sticker Guy Moderator Vendor GMOTM Winner Author

Good thought Nick. Even if it was loose, that could be it. I've had that clamp get bent and then it wouldn't hold the distributor tight enough any more.

11. firefighter184

The distributor seems tight, no wriggle in it at all, seems to be where it's supposed to be. All the spark plug wires are OK, etc. As far as my fairly motor-ignorant eyes could tell, everything looked and felt normal as far as wires, lines, etc.:(

12. BurbLover

BurbLover 1/2 ton status

Sorry about your misfortune John. I'm a little far to help out this time.

If my memory serves me right, didn't we have to do a rescue up in that area for Kevin a couple of years ago when he blew apart his rear differential? That was a long day:doah:

13. BIGNICK91

BIGNICK91 1/2 ton status

Does any one have a code reader and code book that they could bring tonight, the check eng. light is going on off.

I thought that might be a good place to start, atleast see what is spitting the code.

14. 5280k5

5280k5 1/2 ton status

I've got access to a GM Tech 1 scan tool, might give something to point us in the right direction. If I dig around up here at work enough I might even find an old service manual.

15. firefighter184

Good ideer Nick! Right on, Brigham! Sure would be nice to drive the Punisher out as opposed to getting towed. Drive out: 1 hour Tow out: Looooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooong night.:mad:

16. norville

norville 1/2 ton status

A stones throw from Pargon Mountaintop Pa
    Grab a spare cap wire, unless i'ts the all in one bugger then grab a spare cap or borrow one. And that plug thing under the cap (I'm stupid at the moment). Ya have a batter booster? Bring a meter to check the alt. Check your wires melted to the block??? It sounds like a timing spark thing to me....sitting in my armchair. :)

good luck
    bob

17. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

Check the wires from the coil to the distributor. My wires shake loose on the coil and it will make the motor run like crap and kill it. I have had this happen several times.

You can use a piece of electrical wire to jump the ports on diagnostic plug to get the light to flash any codes that it has.

Take a spare ignition module out there and you might drop that in and see if that will cure the problem. Pickup coils and igition modules can cause all kinds of wierd things to happen. The problem with swapping the pickup coil is you have to pull the whole disty to get it out which sucks on the trail.

Make sure that the pump is putting out good pressure and if it is then start looking at spark issues. Even with bad sensors most of the time TBI will run well enough to drive.

Harley

18. Cricket

Cricket 3/4 ton status

After talking to you, sounds like you have it covered. If you need my help though I will drive down.

19. miniwally

miniwally 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Just to throw my knowledge in for you.

Make sure your battery is charged up fully. The TBI needs a good charge to work correctly.

If the computer does not sense spark it will not pump fuel.

Make sure you have spark. If not I would charge you battery for a bit and check agian. If still no spark start checking distributer stuff out.
    If you have spark then all you need is fuel. TBI can get a bit of a vapor lock. I don't know how but maybe something to look at.
    If you have spark and fuel then you should be able to start and run.

20. firefighter184

OK, here's the plan:

Toby, Nate, Nike and Nick and I are heading up there, leaving around 4:00. Anybody else want to come help out, looks like there are several of you who cant get off work until later, can meet us up there. No matter which way you run Slaughterhouse, you end up at the clearing we'll be in, it's right at the half way point of the trail. Cell phone no worky up there, so I guess I'll just hope to see the rest of you up there...

I'll be available by phone though until probably 5:00pm.