Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

HELP! Tranny bellhousing bolts.

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Jonny-K5, Jul 10, 2004.

1. Jonny-K5

Jonny-K5 1/2 ton status

im swapping trannies today and im stuck on the top bellhousing bolts. how are you supposed to get to them? i cant even see em. my truck is an 89' so it has a bunch of crap on it. tranny is a 700r4

2. unclematty

unclematty 1/2 ton status

LOWER THE BACK OF THE TRANS down about 2 inches you should be able to see them then. from underneath I'm assuming /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

3. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

With everything in place i have gotten it using a 9/16" box end, and stuffing your hand down past the distribuitor....
    You know how the box ends are slightly angled.. use the angle so the wrench points towards the front of the engine.
    (The other way around than i would usually use a box end.)
    Otherwise, ya lower the tranny as far as you can, and some long extensions and a swivel socket might do it.

4. Jonny-K5

Jonny-K5 1/2 ton status

ok thanks, i'll give it a try

5. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I've also RAISED the tranny to tilt the engine forward for better hand clearance for those bolts.

I'd probably put the bottom two back in though, so that the tranny/engine don't bind up when the bolts are undone up top.

6. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

I used several long extensions with the right sized socket on the end, lay down under it, reach up towards the top of the trans where the bolts are and get'em out. /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

You CAN get every bolt out from under the truck.

7. mrk5

mrk5 The Sticker Guy Moderator Vendor GMOTM Winner Author

I lay a 2x4 across the fenders and lay over the engine with my chest on the 2x4 and legs on the core support. Then it's easier to get the bolts out with a box end wrench.

8. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

a snapon impact swivel socket and 4 feet of extensions

9. oilburner

oilburner Registered Member

The best way I have to get those bolts is by lowering the tranny&tcase combo until the Dist. is about to hit the firewall, then use every 3/8 extension you have to reach up and get them from underneath. My trucks are tall enough that you can sit on the ground behind the Tcase and look forward and up, and see the bolts. If you can see 'em, you can get several feet of extension on 'em.
    G /forums/images/graemlins/crewcab.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

10. Jonny-K5

Jonny-K5 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    The best way I have to get those bolts is by lowering the tranny&tcase combo until the Dist. is about to hit the firewall, then use every 3/8 extension you have to reach up and get them from underneath.

[/ QUOTE ]

this is what i did to get those bolts out, now im putting the new tranny in today, whats the best way to get those back in? . any tricks for doing this? should i try to get them in with the extension or wiggle my hands up in there.

11. oilburner

oilburner Registered Member

If you have a stiff 3/8 drive universal joint or universal socket (esp one with the spring around it), use it on the end of the long extensions. Start the bolts WITHOUT using the ratchet (so as not to cross threads), then put the ratchet on and torque to spec. Of course, if you can get an arm in there, that may prove easier - I never could fit my arms up there /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif
    G /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/crewcab.gif

12. southernspeed

southernspeed 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I have no carpet in my '78 so pulled the access cover off that sits over the trans when I changed it and those top bolts are right there in front of you...piece of cake! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

13. Zeus33rd

Zeus33rd Smarter than you GMOTM Winner

[ QUOTE ]
    I have no carpet in my '78 so pulled the access cover off that sits over the trans when I changed it and those top bolts are right there in front of you...piece of cake! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I was reading down through this thread wondering when someone was gonna mention that. I just installed my motor last night and used that method. No tranny tunnel cover makes it waay easy. You can reach in there and start the bolts with your hand. Then use two 6" extensions and a universal to tighten them up. /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

14. unclematty

unclematty 1/2 ton status

I'll take this /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

15. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

[ QUOTE ]
    I was reading down through this thread wondering when someone was gonna mention that. I just installed my motor last night and used that method. No tranny tunnel cover makes it waay easy.

[/ QUOTE ]

Because the later tunnels are welded in place.

16. Jonny-K5

Jonny-K5 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

thats what i thought, i didnt see any bolt holes from underneith.

well its all back together now, thanks for the help everyone~ /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

17. southernspeed

southernspeed 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    I was reading down through this thread wondering when someone was gonna mention that. I just installed my motor last night and used that method. No tranny tunnel cover makes it waay easy.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
    DOH!!!!!!
    Haven't had the carpet up on my '91. /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif