Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

HELP Tranny housing is chipped!!!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by MTBLAZER89, Aug 4, 2004.

1. MTBLAZER89

MTBLAZER89 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

So I have had a little leak on the seal at the tranny and adaptor. there was a small chip I could see on the outside, but when I pulled the adaptor today I found this /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif What can I do to fix this? Anything /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif The chip doesn't extend into the seal area prolly fix the leak with a bit of RTV. It really doesn't even leak that bad just seeps out.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

How did this happen? My guess is my front driveshaft rubbed on my crossmember after my TH350 swap. I think from the short amount of time it rubbed it caused the bolts to strip out partially. (Bottom two from adaptor to tranny side had alluminum threads in them /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif) The partially stripped bolts were found part of the way backed out /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif maybe I don't know, but it's only been in the truck for 4-5 months /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif I am gonna helicoil both of the bottom holes to fix the backing out problem because a few threads are missing

Any ideas advice suggestions /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif
    Thanks /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

2. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

how about a longer bolt and a nut on the backside? the chipped part, only thing I can suggest there is swapping cases. You might be able to get somebody to fill it up with a tig welder but might cause more problems than do good. Probably wouldn't be much cheaper than switching out cases.

3. camiswelding

camiswelding 1/2 ton status

Ive fixed this kind of boo boo before by tigging it... but since you say there isnt really any leakage problem and you may not have the equipment or expertise I would consider JB Weld... they also make liquid aluminum which might be good too.... you make a little mold out of clay and mold it to the height and style you want... you can even grind it when done...and it will hold for threads... I used to do alot of antique tractors and cats when finding new casting was impossible or so expensive made the fix too prohibiitve... never had a problem...
    I probably would consider swapping cases if you have it that far apart... the case probably took some serious abuse to get that chip and there may be an unseen fracture not yet revealed
    hope this helps...
    cam

4. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

If it was me, I would try to fix it with JB weld first and see if that works. If you can keep the bolts tight (loctite?), it probaby won't happen again. You can grind/sand the filler down flat with the case and it should seal.

The only problem I see is getting threads in the JB Weld to match up with the existing case threads. Maybe you could thread a bolt in there before you start, covered with anti-sieze or something and just back it out after the filler is cured.

5. MTBLAZER89

I think I am gonna try JB weld or the alluminum stuff mentioned above (where can I get that). The threads shouldn't be too big of a deal cause I can just helicoil it right?? What color locktite should I use for alluminum? I really don't think there is any more hidden damage. This tranny has not been wheeled yet and only has about 1000 miles on it since the swap.

I really don't have the knowledge or the money to get into tigging it or anything. Swapping cases means a whole rebuild correct??

Anybody else /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

6. MTBLAZER89

anybody know where I can get this alluminum liquid stuff? Or have any other ideas?

7. camiswelding

camiswelding 1/2 ton status

brian..... the secret for making bolt holes with jb weld is to put saran wrap on the bolt.... make sure you dont get any JB /Aluminum stuff on the bolt and only on the saran wrap part... when dry back it out and viola... threaded hole... make sure you get the thinest stuff possible... and then when you put the botl back in use threadlocker... Ive even used teflon tape before which works too
    see if home depot has it.. Ive seen it there before
    cam