Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Help !!!! Tranny problems

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 6.2 man, Jul 13, 2000.

1. 6.2 man

6.2 man 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Hey guys and gals . I'm here for some tranny help ?( bet you haven't heard that line before ) The last couple weeks when I tried to back my Blazer out of garage , it felt like it didn't seem to go right away . I just passed it off as morning blues . Tuesday I backed it up at work went into drive and it did the same thing .There wasn't a jerk , when it goes into gear , it slowlys engage . After it is moving , shifts seem fine . It only does this after sitting awhile . Fluid level is fine . So I took it too my friendly Ammaco shop . Just 2 years ago the pump was sucked and the torque converter as well ( I did see the damage ) and they did the work . This is the 4th transmission for this rig in the 10 years since I have owned it (3 of these were used ) .The shop thinks a seal inside is bad and needs to be removed and repaired . Cost first time was $1200.00 . I was told they would cut me a break since it's been only 2 years since repairs . He did think it would be more since it's more involved . I'm tired of sinking money into these transmissions . So I need help I'm seriously thinking it's time to unload this rig . I really hate too but it's getting really expensive to keep .I can't take this every 2 years having transmission problems . Any ideas ???? Thanks for letting me vent .

2. Waxer

Waxer 1/2 ton status Author

First tip is to STOP taking it to Aamco. the most expensive tranny shop there is. Secondly, pull the tranny out yourself and take it to a tranny shop. I did that and was only charged $200 for the rebuild. That was 2 years ago on this th350 and it has been running strong ever since. I abuse it every time I go wheeling and it keeps asking for more. Hope this helps

3. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

I agree...stop with that shop. I think you can order a Reman updated 700r4 from serveral places for $1200 including your local GM dealer with a warranty. You just need to pull it yourself for the savings. Now as to why this keeps happening. If you don't have a BIG tranny cooler this is the reason it is failing. you have to keep them boogeres under 200deg. Heat is what kills them 95% of the time. Now if your brave you can get all the seals, clutches and various other parts without much trouble. I rebuilt my TH350 with new seals, clutches, steels and a reman converter for $125 including a book on how to do it and a cooler flush kit. I have seen adds for rebuild kits in J.C Whitney as well as Jegs and Summit. It's not really that bad of job just labor and time consuming.

Diging it in the dirt with my K5's
    Grim-Reaper
    http://grimsk5s.coloradok5.com/

4. ggallin13

ggallin13 1/2 ton status

I know I am from a different area, but I have heard nothing but bad things about Aamco. A friend of mine needed a rebuild on his tranny, and the guy workiing there said, "$800". WE had the tranny out, and he still said, "Doesn't matter. $800." This is without even seeing the tranny. We eventually got a rebuild for $180 at a reputable shop.

My tranny does the same thing, so once my gears are done I am taking it in for service. God, I hope it isn't the main seal...

5. chevy4x4

chevy4x4 1/2 ton status

You need a big cooler. The 700r4s overheat. I remeber reading how to install one in a 4x4 mag.

<font color=red>Chevy4x4<font color=red>[​IMG]
    http://fourbyfour.coloradok5.com

6. 6.2 man

6.2 man 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I rebuilt the original tranny when it went . Got me a book , the tools and worked very slowly with it .It worked great the only thing missing was overdrive . No one could figure out what was causing it . I'm staying away from AAMCO .Monday I'm in pursuit of a local rebuilder . I'm also looking at the cooler . Maybe it's too small .What size should I have ???