Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

HELP! Tranny Swap Problem!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by derek2002, Nov 24, 2000.

1. derek2002

derek2002 1/2 ton status

I was putting a 350 tranny with NP208 case into my 77 Chevy that had a SM465. I bolted the crossmember into the original holes, but it is way too close to the engine mounts. It appears to be close to 4 inches too close. Now, were there different mounting holes for manual vs auto or do I need a difference crossmember, or what? If it makes any difference, the 350 was in a short bed and the 77 is a long box. Any advice would be appreciated! Thanks!

Later,

-Derek
    1986 3/4 Ton & 1987 Blazer Project
    http://www.4chevy.com

2. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

A 77 that had a 465 should also have a 205.
    You're going to put a 208 in it? Just so you can have an automatic?
    I wish I could help you on the crossmember thing, but I don't know about auto crossmembers.
    Just today I bolted on my 465/205 crossmember into a frame that previosuly had a 400/203, but the 400/203 had already been removed so I don't know how different it was.
    You'd have to think about total length of tranny - seems like an auto crossmember should be further back compared to a stick.
    My frame has extra holes so I assume that any option that was available had holes ready for the crossmember.
    I don;t think longbox vs.shortbox makes any difference. Just a longer rear driveshaft.
    Good luck.
    -- Mike