Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Help!!! Transmission pan leaks

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 88K5Jimmy, Jan 8, 2002.

1. 88K5Jimmy

88K5Jimmy 1/2 ton status

I have a stock K5 with a 700-R4 and I changed the tranny fluid a little while ago and started to find leaks on the driveway. I crawled under there and all the bolts were loose so I tightened them up. Now I just walked out and there are more spots on the driveway. It appears the leak is coming from the front of the tranny, closest to the flywheel. I just replaced the filter, fluid and gasket. anybody know what's goin on??
    Thanks

2. White Knight

White Knight 1/2 ton status

You've prolly pinched the gasket material by now, replace clean everything real well, and use a little blue RV sealant, make sure you tighten the bolts in sequence...(which I don't have)..someone else help him here, and torque them properly.

White Knight

3. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

Just go and replace the gasket and torque it down to the right specks.
    Did you use any gasket sealer when you installed the gasket? Most of them are atacked by ATF and will leak like you used no gasket at all[​IMG].

'71 Blazer CST w/ a 400sbc, 4" lift, 36" Supper Swampers, and alot of rust
    <a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/triaged>See it Here </a>

4. DaveK5

DaveK5 Registered Member

When I changed the tranny fluid and filter in my 78 K5 a few months back, I hand tightened all the bolts then torqued them down to 12 ft/lbs using a criss cross pattern. Havent experienced any leaks yet.

5. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

Did you by any chance overtighten the pan bolts? OVERtightening will cause leaks as much as undertightening........

<font color=blue> NEVER FORGET, NEVER FORGIVE, NEVER SURRENDER<font color=blue>

6. DesertDueler

DesertDueler 1/2 ton status

Sounds like the front seal :( thats what happened to mine before it let loose. If its coming out where the flex plate is than 99% of the time thats it.

86Jimmy 4"&35"MTRs,87 burb 4"&33"MT,69Firebird w/525 hp,and 70GTO live in PHX,AZ<a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/modifierperformance>My vehicles</a>

7. 88K5Jimmy

88K5Jimmy 1/2 ton status

Yeah I think I over torqued them. I read in a chevy repair manual to torque them to 8 ft/lbs. What do you guys think?
    Thanks for the help.

8. Espen88k5

Espen88k5 1/2 ton status

This will make it easyer the next time:
    Clean the surfaces real good of all old gasket material and oil.
    Go buy some of that glue that comes in a spray-can and spray around the pan's edge before you lay the new gasket down on it. That will keep the gasket still while youre re-installing it and really helps in not getting acidential smears of transmision fluid on the gasket surface as your re-installing the pan. Then tighten each bolt as hard as you can with only your fingers on the extension, then use the ratchet and give each one half a turn in a alternating fashion.

<font color=red><a target="_blank" href=http://www.espen88k5.alloffroad.com>www.espen88k5.alloffroad.com</a></font color=red>

9. ironmikek5

ironmikek5 1/2 ton status

Make sure all surfaces - pan, gasket, transmission surface - are free of ATF. That can be tricky, with the fluid dripping out of the tranny...but if you've got ATF going across the gasket when you mount it, you've already given it a place to head when it is operating and under pressure.

Use a good gasket, no sealer, and torque the bolts to spec in a criss-cross, and you should have no problem. Unless, like me, you don't think to torque the drain plug when you install a new tranny pan...ooops.

<font color=red>I will not tolerate intolerance </font color=red>[​IMG]